Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

“Wake up!”

I shot up in my bed, startled. I looked around frantically, finding my mother in the doorway of my room. We locked eyes, but she simply turned and slammed the door behind her.

Harsh.

I placed a hand over my racing heart. She had scared me good with that little wake up call. I pulled back my black comforter sheets of my bed. I slid off the bed, landing on my feet.

The wooden floor was incredibly cold beneath my feet. My mouth suddenly popped open.

It was my birthday! I can’t believe I could’ve forgotten something as important as that!

Today, I would meet my Mate. I was incredibly scared. I shoved away any thoughts of Mates immediately. I had been putting it off for a while. I hadn't necessarily had time to think about it.

I quickly made my way to the large dresser in the far side of the room. I pulled open the drawers, grabbing a pair of black skinny jeans and gray T-shirt with my favorite band’s name. I snatched the oversized black hoodie off of my desk, along with my undergarments.

I headed towards the bathroom. After taking a quick shower that did nothing to calm my nerves, I slipped on my clothes and blow-dried my black locks of hair. I applied a quick swipe of mascara around my dark brown eyes.

As soon as I finished brushing my teeth, I went downstairs and entered the kitchen.

All of the appliances and counters were on the far right side of the wall. On the left side, there was a large wooden table with six chairs surrounding it.

My mother was sitting at the table with my half-brother, Lucas. Her caramel colored hair covered her face from my view. When I walked in, she glanced up. Her eyes were the same dark chocolate shade as mine.

Lucas looked over at me, too, but immediately shrunk back when he saw me. He had dark brown hair, a shade darker than my mother’s, and bright blue eyes. My mother had ‘accidentally’ had sex with another guy, and Lucas was the product of that.

He was only four years old, but I nonetheless hated him. He was probably a replica of his father. My mother had turned her back on her own Mate, my father.

She frowned slightly as she watched Lucas before putting up a blank expression.

“Ready?” she asked. She kept most of the emotion out of her motherly voice.

I nodded once. “Yeah.”

I knew I didn’t have any time to eat breakfast. Besides, my mother never cooked anything. My father usually did most of the cooking, since she bluntly refused to. I never learned how to cook, either.

She would always find something for me to get busy with before I could do anything with my father. After a while, I gave up.

Our mother-daughter relationship was definitely not the best.

It was simple. She drove me to school, and picked me up from school. I didn’t care and neither did she. I never exactly bonded with her.

She stood up from the table, setting down the children’s book she had been reading in front of Lucas and I followed her out of the kitchen.

I grabbed my backpack from where it always lays, right next to the front door, waiting for another endless day of school. The school wasn’t too far from our house.

My mother had tried taking Lucas on the ride with us once. That resulted in two migraines and one tantrum-throwing, crying child.

I couldn’t help but wonder at the possibilities of what could happen today. Today would be incredibly different. One random male from my Pack would claim me.