Chapter Six: Beep Beep

Beep beep.

Beep beep.

There is this strange beeping noise. It's loud, much louder than the ringing in his ears or the sounds around him that are slowly beginning to seep in.

Beep beep.

For some reason that insistent, obnoxious sound is making his heart race. And as Chat Noir slowly, ever so slowly, finds his way back into reality, that sound is compelling him. Compelling him to move. To get up and run. But he doesn't remember WHY at this exact moment.

And a voice. There's...a voice? It's only now coming into focus, as all the other sounds crowd out the beeping for a moment.

Yes, a voice. A female voice in a sea of many, many voices. A very familiar voice next to his ear, telling him something. Something just as urgent as the annoying beeping.

"Chat." He hears his name and he wills his eyes to open. They don't obey immediately and that frustrates him.

"Chat!"

Her voice.

"-Miraculous."

"-out of time!"

Chat can only catch pieces of what that familiar voice is saying in such a worried tone but it's enough that he shoves with all his force back to the land of reality.

Chat Noir's eyes open slowly. Above him is a sea of red and blue and...wet? There is something dripping on his face. Chat blinks and his vision finally clears. As it does, the ringing in his ears also lessens and he can finally hear clearly, though the voice has stopped speaking. Only the insistent beeping in his ears remains.

Beep beep.

"My...Lady?" Chat tries to speak but finds he cannot. His throat is on fire from the effort and he can only mouth the horrified question. Horrified because of the look on her face.

Ladybug is crying. She is leaning over him and her tears are falling onto his cheeks. However, when she sees his eyes open and his lips move, she gasps.

"Chat!" Ladybug exclaims. He tries to sit up. Pain bites into him but he refuses to let himself collapse. Ladybug backs up a bit and lets him sit up, helping with a warm hand on his back. Her expression lightens just slightly.

Chat doesn't mention the pain that comes from the pressure of her hand. He can't really and even if he could, he still wouldn't.

Beep beep.

He's distracted by the beeping. He looks for the sound's origin but when he moves, more pain attacks him. He flinches and Ladybug's expression grows more desperate.

"Chat, your Miraculous! It's almost run out. You've got less than a minute left!" Ladybug removes her hand and points at his ring.

Chat Noir is stunned. He glances at it too.

Beep beep.

Now that Chat is paying attention, he realizes that after every beep there is a small flash of light from his ring. It shows only the slightest sliver of a cat paw. It beeps again as he watches it and the sliver grows even thinner.

Less than a minute.

It finally hits him.