Chapter Nine: Asleep?

He is awake. He has to be awake. He tries to move his fingers and then fear rushes through him when he can't seem to locate them.

Adrien tries to open his eyes and his body doesn't respond. The fear in his chest rises and he hears the loud constant beeping noise to his right increase in pace.

"Natalie!" He hears a soft, sharp voice call out. Well, at least his ears work. Adrien tries to open his eyes again but they don't respond.

"I'll get the nurse." Natalie's quiet reply is almost indiscernible to Adrien as the beeping drowns her out.

Adrien's heart is racing. He can certainly feel that and it seems that the beeping is rushing along with it. He listens to the loud noise for a long moment, reminded of another beeping sound that has recently sent his heart racing like this.

A door slams open, interrupting his thoughts. If he could have moved, Adrien would have jumped. The blindness and numbness of his unresponding body is uncomfortable but he tries to concentrate on the sounds around him as the beeping's volume suddenly decreases like someone turning down a television.

"-asleep?" Gabriel Agreste's question is angry and frustrated.

"No, sir." A feminine voice calmly replies to whatever the question was and Adrien can hear his father's answering hmmph.

"Then why is his heart racing?" Natalie asks from somewhere to Adrien's right.

"He seems to be trying to wake up, sir. I believe I will have to administer some more of the sedative, but I need to check with the doctor first." The feminine voice answers his father's assistant. Adrien can hear the distinct sound of heels on marble floors as the nurse walks out of the room. There is silence for a few minutes as Natalie and Gabriel settle back down into what Adrien assumes are their chairs.

"Why must they keep him asleep?!" Gabriel suddenly exclaims after the long silence.

"The doctor said he needs to heal." Natalie speaks quickly but the normal dutiful obedience that always made her seem docile around his father is no longer in her voice. Adrien quietly marvels at the change in her tone as she continues.

"They said he was severely injured during that fire. Knowing the boy, he probably tried to rush in and save people." A soft laugh comes from Natalie and she moves to his bedside again. Adrien can feel her fingers play with his hair for a moment. "I don't know how he got out of there, but you should feel better that he did. The doctor know best. You flew him in from whatever country that was where he was doing charity work,after all. You need to trust him. For Adrien's sake."

Natalie heaves a large sigh and Adrien can feel her move away. He listens intensely to her steps as she walks towards what he assumes is the door. He can almost feel her pause in the doorway and his father takes a deep breath beside him.

"He will be okay, Monsieur. Just let him sleep."

Natalie leaves. Adrien is left alone in the room with his father for several minutes. His father never moves from his chair and when the nurse comes back in the room, neither of them say anything.

Adrien can feel a needle bite into his skin and slowly, his awareness of the room fades. He begins to dream of the first time he ever met Natalie....