Chapter Twelve: Worrying

Marinette is in a constant state of worrying. Honestly, she can't help it. Sitting in Alya's living room, surrounded by chatting people and noisy kids, she finds herself worrying. She doesn't even hear Alya until her best friend waves a hand in front of her face.

"What?" Mari asks, stunned out of her thoughts about her partner and akumai.

"Girl, where is your head? You've been spacey for days!" Alya sighs and puts a hand on Marinette's shoulder. Everyone in the room chuckles softly before going back to their after-dinner conversations.

In a quieter voice, Alya says seriously, "Honestly Mari. What's wrong? You know you can talk to me." She gives Marinette a worried look but Mari just shakes her head.

"Really Alya, it's nothing. Just lost in thought." Wanting to avoid Alya's interrogation, Mari turns to her mom who is sitting on her other side.

"Maman, how much longer did you say school was going to be cancelled for?"

Sabine Dupain-Cheng stops her conversation with Ayla's mother to smile at her daughter. "Monsieur Owl said that school should be back in session next week. I think that most of the schools in Paris figured that a three week halt to classes would be enough time to let people heal and get situated." Sabine smiles again, despite the pain in her eyes, and says, "Are you excited for the return of your classes?"

Marinette hesitates and Alya rolls her eyes before jumping in. "I don't think anyone is excited for the return of classes. Maybe Mari is more looking forward to seeing a certain someone ." Alya winks and Mari rolls her eyes. She knows this is Alya's revenge for not talking about what's bothering her.

"Whatever Alya," Mari replies jokingly and stands up. She walks away from the group of people in Alya's living room -Alya's parents, siblings, and Mari's parents are all spread out on several couches- and heads towards the stairs.

Marinette is down the stairs and almost out the door before Alya catches up to her.

"Mari!"

Marinette holds in a sigh and walks out of the house, knowing Alya is following her. Alya follows Mari into the front of her yard where a bench is located. Both girls sit down on it.

Marinette stares out onto her city and tears well up in her eyes. Even between all the large buildings, she can see the damage that horrible fire caused...

"Look, girl. I'm sorry," Alya starts, noticing the tears in Mari's eyes. "You know I'm just teasing."

"I know Alya. You're not what's bugging me."

"What is it? Please. Come on, tell me." Alya begs and Mari meets her gaze. Alya's expression is full of confusion and frustration.

For one long moment, Marinette considers telling Her best friend what's truly on her mind. She imagines her best friend's face as she admits to being Ladybug and spilling all her secrets. She imagines how Alya would take her by the shoulders and give her a bone-crushing hug and would let Marinette cry out her fears on her shoulder.

For a moment, Mari considers it she really does. She needs someone to talk to about her nightmares about Chat dead in an alley somewhere, and the fact that she can't find her kwami anywhere. She just wants someone to talk to, and she knows that Alya will truly be able to keep this secret for her.

But...She doesn't want to admit to all her fears and doubts. She is already so worried about Chat, Adrien, and Tikki. Her eternal worry: the one for her family, her friends, and especially Alya, comes crashing down on her again. If she reveals her identity to anyone , no matter how trustworthy that someone is, there is a chance that her identity will be found out. Even if she were to only tell Alya, Alya could slip up. She'd likely accidentally tell Nino. She would worry about Marinette whenever Ladybug went around fighting akumai. She might get in the way, trying to protect her best friend.