Chapter 1

"Ugh" random groceries spread across the old worn out road. I sigh and pick them up, placing them back in the shopping bags that hang from my arms. The alleyway that lies ahead of me is particularly frightening, an abandoned street with no street lights and flats surrounding the path in which i'm walking.

I can hear my heart thumping amongst the eerily silence of this narrow alleyway. The shopping bags slumped over my arms which are preventing me from jogging. I have always had a bad feeling of this route but it's much quicker, cutting a few blocks off usual trip home.

The sound of a stick being stepped on fills my ears, sending my heart rate through the roof. I stop in my tracks and shake it off, before continuing down the path. A tug on one of the shopping bags sends my head jolting around. A fairly old man with dark hair and a crooked smile stands directly behind me.

I take a deep breath in and attempt to swallow through my swollen throat. "What's a pretty girl like you doing out on your own?" He smiles his wicked smile, and I take another cautious step back prepared to drop my bags and run. "Where do you think your going?" He says before grabbing my wrist. "Help!" I scream. His grip becomes tighter.  That does it. I draw my right hand back and punch him just under his jaw. The man instantly falls to the ground.

The sound of police sirens takes over my thumping heart. What do I do? Do I stay here and admit what I did, or take off and run. Either way I'm in trouble, so I decide on running. I drop the bags and bolt to where I know I might not be found, the forest. I run straight down the rest of the alleyway. The sight of trees becoming closer and closer with every step. "Hey, there she is!" My footsteps pick up faster, my head and heart pounding. What the heck am I doing running away from police, I'm caught anyway. The voices in my head are interrupted, when I stumble to the ground. I roll across the rocky gravel.

Hands instantly grasp my wrists, pulling me off the ground. My arms are pulled behind my back, meaning only thing. I'm being arrested. "Your coming with us" the officer behind me proclaimed. "But wha-what did I do?"

The next four words made me feel sick to my stomach. "You killed that man"

My head starts to race. What will my parents think of me? I'm a killer. I'm a killer, the only words running through my head as I let the darkness consume me.