Chapter Eight

The Book Keeper

Chapter Eight

                “I can’t do this,” I tell Jayvon, getting frustrated. “Keep trying. You need to focus,” he tells me. I take in a deep breath. He comes at me again and this time I successfully dodge his attack. I block the next two, but on the third attack, I find myself lying on my back.

                I see Jayvon standing over me with his arm extended towards me. I take his hand and he helps me up. “Thanks.” I sigh. “Well I think that’s enough for today,” he tells me. I agree.

                It’s been five days since Jayvon showed up in my bedroom. That leaves me two days until Jason said he would be back.

                In the short time we have been training, I have learned how to use a gun, a knife, and my fists as weapons. I feel stronger and less dependent on someone or something to protect me. Now, I can finally do the job I am meant to do.

                Jayvon had told me what it meant to be a book keeper. Those books, like I already knew, were records of past crimes. It’s a type of history book for werewolves. My job is to protect the book and keep it hidden. It has to remain safe and not be exposed to the criminals described in the books.

                It’s crazy how too long ago I never believed in werewolves or the supernatural at all. I would have laughed at anyone who said they were real. It was an unknown concept to me, until now. I mean there’s no way I can deny it. The truth is right in front of me.

*Two days later*

“I’ll cook us some dinner,” I told Jayvon. “Not tonight,” I gave him a confused look. “I’m taking you out tonight. You have officially mastered all the skills I set out to teach you. So I’m treating you to dinner to celebrate all your hard work. I smile widely.

“Go get ready,” he tells me, “wear something nice.” I run up to my room and jump in the shower. After I get out, I put on a black halter dress that hugs my curves in all the right places. I decide to put minimal makeup on, not wanting to make this seem like a date.

Walking out my bedroom door, I slip on my heels and walk downstairs. Jayvon is waiting on me, wearing a nice suit. He smiles at me as he takes my hand and leads me out the door, to the car. He opens the door for me and helps me in.

After a short, quiet ride, we pull up to a fancy restaurant called ‘Midnight Blues.’ I smile. “Have you ever eaten here before?” Jayvon asks. I shake my head in response. “Well it’s this little place that has a live band play jazz music,” he tells me. I smile. I’ve always wanted to eat here.

Once we get inside, I look around in awe. The walls are painted royal blue and the floors are hardwood. Chandeliers hang from the low, black ceilings. There are tables everywhere. Booths lined the walls.

Every table and every booth had a large candle in the middle of it. It was so perfect. It would be the perfect place for a first date.

“Do you like it?” Jayvon asks me. I nod earnestly while smiling. He smiles back at me. We are led by the waiter to a booth in the back. Jayvon lets me sit down first and he soon follows suit.

“Thank you for taking me here. It’s truly amazing,” I tell him after we order, still looking around. “You deserve it. You have worked harder than I have ever seen somebody work. You learned so quickly. I’m proud of you,” he says. I smile proudly.

We enjoy our meal in a comfortable silence. He has been such a good friend to me these past few days. He’s trained me to fight, taught me more about the books, and has been an understanding friend to me.

“There’s one last thing I haven’t told you about,” Jayvon says suddenly. I give him a questioning look. He sighs. Okay, now I’m kind of worried. “What?”

“Ever heard of soul mates?” he asks. “Uh, yea?” I say. “Well, werewolves have what we call mates. They are predestined. They become a werewolf’s whole life. They love them the moment they set eyes on their mate. They have a love for them like no other. They will protect their mate with their life,” Jayvon tells me.

Soul mates are real?! “How do they know who their mate is?” I ask. “Like you know, every werewolf has an inner wolf. Well, their wolf will tell them. Also, when they look each other in the eye, they feel butterflies in their stomach. When they touch, there’s sparks. Their gut feeling tells them so,” he says.

“Why are you telling me this?” I ask. He hesitates. “Every book keeper has a mate. Therefore, you will have a mate also,” Jayvon tells me. I look at him in shock. “So if I were you, try not to fall in love, because you’re going to end up hurting your mate if he finds you with someone else.” I look down. I don’t know what to think.

                *The next day*

I walk out of my office when I hear someone come into the library. I see a young, attractive man looking around. I stare for a moment but I then go to my desk and sit down. I start to search online for more books, but am interrupted by someone walking up.

I look up and see the attractive man smiling at me. “Hi, can I help you?” I ask. He hands me the books as he says, “I would like to check these out, please.” I nod and smile. “Do you have a library card?” I ask him. He shakes his head. “What’s your name?” “Ryder Smith,” he replies.

I type his name into the computer and make him a library card. I hand it to him. He lets his hand touch mine a few moments longer than normal. I look down, blushing.

“So, what’s a pretty girl like you doing Friday night?” he asks me. “Nothing, why?” I ask, smiling. “Would you go out on a date with me, miss….” He asks, looking for a name tag. “Aaliyah. And yes, I would love to go out with you,” I said. “Good. I’ll meet you here at eight on Friday,” Ryder says, walking away. I smile.

Suddenly, Jayvon’s warning popped into my head. Maybe accepting the date was a bad idea.