7 | anticipation

"I raise my flags, dawn my clothes,
it's a revolution, I suppose."
-Imagine Dragons

***

CHAPTER SEVEN
ANTICIPATION

"Our dear father..."

Brianna clenches and unclenches her fists as a strategy to deal with her nervousness as Kurt Wagner mutters a prayer quietly. None of them comment on this; they are all anxious and nervous and they understand how the blue boy feels.

Scott hangs his head low, lips quivering. Brianna feels a sudden urge to hug him but knows that would be inappropriate in this situation. Jean watches out the window with glassy eyes and pinched eyebrows.

"It should have been me," Scott chokes out, sounding on the verge of crying. Brianna understands this, too, because she probably cared about Alex Summers just as much as Scott did.

"He was the one that was gonna do something with his life," he continues, looking up, out the window of the helicopter. "He was always the one." Kurt has his hands together, and Jean's eyelids flutter shut for a moment before opening again. Brianna just remains quiet, listening to the sound of the loud chopper.

"Thats not how he felt," Jean replies, voice soothing and warm. Even Brianna finds comfort in it. Scott just hangs his head again. "He felt you were gonna be the one that was gonna do something special with your life." She pauses, sun gleaming against her face in a graceful way. "That you were gonna make a difference in this world."

Brianna knows these words to be true. She remembers the endless conversations she had with Alex, and she remembers how almost every time they talked, he would bring up his little brother.

"Maybe even change it," Jean adds as an afterthought.

Creases appear in Scott's forehead. "How do you know what he felt?" He questions, looking again at the ground, kicking his shoes together.

"I know what everybody feels," she says sadly, eyes glassy and Brianna tenses up for a moment as she feels the redhead's gaze slip past her. And then Jean rests her small hand on top of Scott's, looking at him in understanding. In this moment, the brunette catches a glimpse of her father in this girl, and suddenly understands why he seemed to favor her through the time she has been at the School For The Gifted.

Kurt continues to pray and Brianna feels a heavy weight on her shoulders. They have already lost Alex, they can't lose anyone else. She has to get her father back. Safe and alive. Losing him would tear her apart, she realizes, and he doesn't even know it.

Outside, snow covered mountains pass by the window. Brianna suddenly feels a chill from the dip in temperature, but it's nothing compared to her fear of what is to come.

The chopper begins to lower, and goes lower, hovers over water before slipping through the side of a mountain via tunnel. Brianna's nerves spike and she keeps herself on high alert.

-

Inside, with the help of Jean's powers, her, Brianna, Scott, and Kurt are able to hide from all of the security. The red head rests her middle and index finger against her temple, another move that heartbreakingly reminds Brianna of her father.

When the hall is clear, Jean doubles back to the boys and Brianna, who are trying to get in to a room with a large metal door labelled B, Secure Cell.

"What's taking so long?" Scott presses, eyeing Kurt expectantly through his red ruby quartz glasses.

"I can't get in," the blue German boy replies, blue and black bangs falling over his forehead. "They have a field around it, like the helicopter." Scott's lips part and a look of disbelief seems to cross his face. He sighs and shakes his head.