10 | taking action

CHAPTER TEN
TAKING ACTION

-

BRIANNA COULD NOT come up with words to say to Charles, could not think of anything that she could possibly say to compensate for the situation. There were a million things that she wanted to apologize for, but she just could not bring herself to face him.

So instead, she sits across the room, dabbing a wet cloth against Kurt's chest in hope of his awakening.

Everyone heard the deep, thunderous voice calling out from outside. "Charles! Show yourself!" Heartbeat quickening, Brianna turned her head, eager to catch her father's glance, but he had his eyes squeezed shut. Everyone was looking at him now, as the voice continued to repeat his name in that booming voice.

Brianna could see out a crack in the structure, tears forming in her eyes when she sees Peter get hurt, leg getting twisted by the immortal god. She gasped as he cried out in pain, fingers tingling blue with the desire to fix his pain.

Then, Peter was on his knees, the god gripping his hair and holding him back, exposing his neck. The girl with the glowing pink swords comes forward, and Brianna can faintly hear the blue god order her to kill Peter. She covers her eyes and the sword is swung, but when she looks, Peter is uninjured. Instead, a thick red line covers the god's neck.

He releases Peter, dropping him to the ground. He crawls away to find a hiding place, and the wound on the god's neck seals up before he locks his fingers around the girl's throat.

As he lifts her off the ground, her skin turns a brilliant shade of blue, her eyes yellow, and hair fiery orange. Brianna gasps again, clasping her hand over her mouth in horror.

"Raven," Charles murmurs, eyes watery and head still slightly bleeding.

"I'm going out there," Hank announces, striding towards the door. Scott follows him.

"I'm going with you."

"No," Charles' weak protest stops them. Hank stops at the door, a confused look on his furry face. "It's me he wants." He shifts uncomfortably in his spot.

"Charles, you can't give yourself up," Moira argues. "If he has you, he has us all. The whole world."

The booming voice comes again, "Charles! Come! Rescue your weaklings! Give your life for theirs!"

Charles was about to start sobbing before he sat up, a look of utter realization crossing over his features.

"He was right," he says, earning equally confused looks from everyone. "There is still some part of me connected to him." Jean and Scott shared a look. Brianna could faintly hear the yell again from outside, trying to lure her father out. "I can get inside his head."

Brianna thought this was a bad idea, immediately. Sure, she knows how powerful her father is, but this other guy is a god. He's no match for him.

"Will you do nothing?" The voice boomed. Brianna could feel the suffering, knew someone was in heavy danger outside. She knew it was Raven, had to be Raven. She watched as Charles lay down across a thin blanket, saying "Thank you for letting me in" before closing his eyes and getting lost in the world of minds.

Minutes later, when he began to breathe heavily and seemed to be in pain, Jean had crouched near him again.

Sand began to blow outside, and many heads turned to watch. Then, Brianna realized that it wasn't sand, but the walls of their shelter dissolving into particles, courtesy of the first mutant.