Chapter 34 The Gambling Hell

"If we don't go tonight we never will, I'm so curious I just must see inside," Alexandra whispered.

"We're lucky both the men are out on business tonight," Kathleen added, "and with our domino on no one will recognize us."

"I left a note for David so he can't say I didn't tell him."

"Why the tarp?"

"To cover 'Lucifer', no need to broadcast our presence." After firing the boiler they were off to the street of shops they had visited their first day in town. They parked some distance from the gambling hell and covered their vehicle in the tarp and stopped to admire their work. "There, we're incognito!" Alexandra said.

"Mike told me ladies of the ton visit this place regularly in domino looking for a little clandestine pleasure."

"Usually widows," Alexandra whispered, "or unhappy wives."

"I'm a happy wife!" Kathleen teased. They entered the building with a group of men of assorted ages and women in domino. There were numerous tables scattered throughout. Women servers were walking about in various stages of undress offering drinks and sitting on tabled engaged in lively conversation. Several of them glaring at the sisters as they entered. They were immediately approached by an impeccably dresses dark hared man.

"Welcome to the Coco Club," he said as he bowed. "I'm Mr. Brown, would you like to be seated."

"This is all new to us," Alexandra said.

"I see you're from the country, Scotland?" They nodded. "Let me seat you, would you like some hot coco and biscuits?"

"Yes, please," Alexandra said.

"The different tables offer a variety of games from hazard to whist. There is dancing off by the stairwell, and cock fights in the back room."

"What's upstairs?" Kathleen asked in a whisper. Mr. Brown smiled.

"Any number of pleasures and a good number of our regular patrons would be happy and willing to show you."

"We will start with hot coco and perhaps join a game of whist," Alexandra said. Mr. Brown nodded and seated them. They were brought out a pot of steaming hot coco and a platter of toasted scones. Another women in a domino without a mask sat next to them. She was immediately approached by a young dandy who took her hand and kissed it.

"Miranda, you came back for me I see."

"You're such a tease Fredrick, finish your game first, I wish to talk to the new girls." Fredrick bowed then looked over the sisters. Alexandra blushed scarlet when his eyes lingered on her bosom for far too long. "Freddie is such a tease and very enthusiastic," she whispered in her French accent, "but he's rather poorly endowed and has limited stamina, you know what I mean?"

"No," Kathleen whispered softly. Miranda laughed.

"You two are fresh from the country, are you trying to enter the trade?"

"What trade?" Alexandra asked.

"Prostitution."

"No...no..." Alexandra stammered, "We were just curious about gambling hells."

"My girls will be happy to know you're not competition. You're single?"

"Newly married."

"And you husband let you come out?"

"We kind of snuck out," Kathleen whispered, and both of them blushed.

"You're the mad countess and mad baroness!" Miranda winked at them. "I like you, so try your hand at gaming. Do not follow any of the gents upstairs and drink only from your pot."