v.

Brighter than gold

This love's shining brighter than gold

This love is like letters in bold

This love is like out of control

This love's never growing old

You make it new

Still falling for you

-:-:-:-:-:-

"Kaeden, are you ready? Ahsoka said she would be making planetfall in less than an hour."

Kaeden Larte rolled over in bed just in time to see her sister, Miara, walk through the door. Miara huffed in disapproval as she took in Kaeden's rumpled sleeping clothes and hair, but Kaeden chose to ignore her.

Even at twenty-six and three years her junior, Kaeden had always found her sister looked exactly like their late mother. They had the same slight dimples in the corners of their eyes, the same knack for working with tech and the same free spirit.

"Get up. You lying in bed is not what 'We're taking the morning off working in the fields to welcome Ahsoka back' was supposed to mean."

"Maybe it'd just be better if she stayed gone. I feel almost like a normal human when she's not here to remind me how I feel," Kaeden mumbled, so quietly she thought Miara wouldn't hear her.

She did, and for a long moment, it looked like she was working up a biting reply. But then, she sighed, sitting down beside her on the bed. Kaeden turned away. She didn't want to see the look of pity she knew her sister had on her face.

Suddenly, she felt Miara's hands in her hair, beginning to straighten the remnants of the braids she had been meaning to fix for the past few days. "Kaeden, you're never going to get what you want in life unless you go after it. Just tell Ahsoka how you feel."

"Shoo," Kaeden said, smacking her hand away. "You still never get it right."

Miara put up her hands in a gesture of defense, but Kaeden's fingers began working instinctively through her frizzy dark locks, realized her sister had already won. By messing with her disheveled hair, Miara had kick-started her rhythm for getting ready in the morning.

"I don't even know if she's what I want anymore," Kaeden admitted finally. "I've grown so used to being her friend that I don't really know anything else now." She chuckled halfheartedly. "I guess you could say I started believing my own lie."

"Hey, now, stop talking like that," Miara said. "Do you know how much you mean to her? And besides, just because she's never seemed into anyone since... him doesn't mean she's a complete lost cause. You still have a chance."

"I guess," Kaeden agreed, but her heart wasn't in it.

A soft beep cut through the quiet air, and Miara bent to check her wrist comm. When she had finished reading the message displayed there, she looked back up. "Ahsoka's almost at the spaceport. I'm going to meet her, okay? So you'd better be cleaned up by the time we get back."

Kaeden nodded, and Miara got up to leave. She only started moving once she heard the door slide shut. As she sat up, she caught sight of herself in a nearby mirror. She chuckled as she spotted the hair that stuck up from the half-finished braids and did her best to flatten it.