Chapter Four

Lance Orson

Lance was sitting at the edge of his bed, rubbing his eyes with his knuckles. The sky outside was growing pale as the sun slowly made its ascent towards its pedestal in the sky. He'd dreamt of Carolyne again. Only this time, she wasn't talking. She was just sitting... staring. Her dark eyes sucked him in, trapping him. He'd felt like those eyes could draw out his soul, and expose everything about him. He was in his wolf form, just sitting there, with his large head resting on his paws. He felt numb like he wasn't in control. Only his wolf.

Suddenly, she'd reached out towards him, touched his nose, and whispered a word. Her eyes looked pained, and she had dark circles under her eyes. She looked tired and weary, and her hands shook as she reached out towards him.

Help... Her mouth moved around the words, but he didn't hear her voice.

After she'd tried to speak, he was ripped from the dream, forced awake once again. He was sweating, and panting. His heart was racing. But the fear he was feeling wasn't his. This panic, wasn't his. Carolyne had to be in danger. Jumping up, he races out the door, charging down the stairs silently. While he ran, he spoke to Solon. Lance had never felt this way before, this crippling anxiety. Solon would have answers.

What's going on with me?

They're not dreams. Something's wrong. She needs us. His wolf grumbles.

Why?

She's scared of something. She needs our comfort and our strength. She's weak, right now. Her wolf is doing everything it can to reach out to us.

How long will this last? He asks his wolf. The creature was older than him, ancient, and full of knowledge. And yet, Solon was still left confused. Its soul was matched with his, bonded at birth, given to him to guide him through his life as a Lycan. And yet he had no answers about their mate.

Until all her questions are answered.

Lance knew that was about as much as Solon would say. He was a very cryptic old dog, and he often liked to speak in riddles. Most Lycans, with ancient souls like his own, did. They thought it was amusing.

Sighing, he clenches his eyes shut, feeling the bond tugging at his heart, allowing its warmth to spread over his whole body. He reached out, with his mind, calling out to Carolyne, trying to let his calm wash over her. His racing heart slowed, and he didn't feel as panicky. It was working.

Once he reached the bottom floor of the mansion, he raced out the doors and to the little courtyard. Stopping only to shift into his wolf form, letting Solon take control. His paws thundered against the ground as he busted out into a full-on sprint, hurrying to get to her home.

Luckily, the Bale home was only a few miles away from his, on the other side of a thick wooded area that separated them. While Solon ran, Lance tried to speak to Carolyne directly. Her emotions were so open to him, he was sure that he'd be able to reach her now. Maybe that barrier that was in her mind was gone.

Carolyne... what's wrong? He calls out, looking into her thoughts. The red light of the sun broke through the canopy, shining down on him. It had been almost two days since their first human encounter, and he could feel the separation burning away at him.

They're not real, not real, not there, not there... She sounded breathless. Jittery.

Who's not real? Was there someone there at the house? Was someone attacking them? He ran faster, growling furiously.