Epilogue

Carolyne Magna

There's just something about an Alpha that just makes everything... tense. Imagine taking Carolyne, and then multiplying her by twenty, and then pumping half of them full of testosterone. To Carolyne, that's exactly how it had felt having the meeting with the Alphas. They were all crazy, unstable, and... dominating. It was a perpetual competition of "last word" and "me first". Ugh. Especially the Russians.

"I never want to go to another Alpha meeting again." Carolyne groans, her body swaying lightly with the lulling motions of the car, which was traveling down I-62, heading back to Kato after the meeting in Canada- neutral territory. Not very many wolves have cared to brave Canada, and for good reason. At least, not the far Northern regions of Canada.

"I know, but eventually you'll have to." Lance chuckles, tucking her into his side as she leans against him. Her throat was raw from all the yelling.

"Who knew they could be so... so-" She struggled to find the right words, motioning with her hands.

"So like you? Alphas are very unpredictable. Most of them definitely have a few screws loose, but if that is what it takes to protect their city, that's what they will do. No matter what." Lance explains, his thumb tracing lazy circles on her shoulder, her dark curls tucked away in a loose bun, leaving her neck exposed to his lips.

"But you're not like that."

"I may not be crazy, but I can definitely act crazy if that's what it takes to fight for my pack. But, I am probably one of the few relatively stable Alphas. Especially since my pack is so large." He chuckles, shaking his head.

"Why is my pack the biggest? Shouldn't Russia be the largest?" Carolyne was like a child, firing off questions.

"Our power is not based on our property size, but by the unity of our people. Russia could become the largest, but they fight too much between themselves. Have you ever seen a pack of Russian Lycans? Especially when they start to drink. They may be Lycan, but they've got enough human in 'em to keep them from congregating in too large of packs. Most of the men butt heads too much to work that well with each other. The men are extremely dominant." He explains, waving his hands around, gesturing as he spoke. "Besides, I am the mayor of a human town. I've gotten very good at controlling my wolffish nature."

"Hmm." She hums and then looks down at her hands, where her fingers were twisting the fabric of her shirt. She yawns, her eyes threatening to seal shut, her eyelids heavy and sore from the hours she'd spent staying up late into the night. "So that's it?"

"Yes. You have been officially recognized as Alpha of the Magna Pack by the other surrounding Alphas." Lance grins down at her, twirling a dark loose strand around his finger.

"But they still have no respect for us. Even though I returned the stolen territory back to the descendants of the past Alphas." Carolyne sighs, rubbing her knuckles into her eye sockets.

"No, you have to earn that. Giving back stolen land is not enough. There are a lot of things you need to fix, but for now, just focus on your pack. You're the Alpha now, the only respect that matters is theirs." Lance murmurs into her hair, and she nods, quickly dozing off.

He was right, of course. The little packs- only made up of a few hundred wolves- thanked her greatly and offered the services that she might need in the future. The small Alphas offered their respect to her, but the little packs didn't. She was a Magna, after all. They would never fully trust her.