Chapter Seven

Waylon Byrns

Three days ago...

He was sick and tired of it. Too long, too long it's been since he's treated them like this. Even when they were kids, Waylon was always, always, below Lance. So what if he was Alpha? Waylon was supposed to be, too.

Barron and Lillian Magna were not the only parents that Julius Magna slaughtered. He killed many other Alphas and took their land. Including Waylon's. His pack's territory was just outside of the Magna borders, and the only reason he'd managed to survive the attack was that Moreno Orson was there on a "business meeting" with Waylon's father. Moreno had just barely managed to get Waylon out before the Magna warriors found them. The Orsons took him in, and raised him like their own... but he knew, he was always reminded. They thought that maybe since he was the youngest of his now-deceased brothers, that Waylon wouldn't take on his dominant Alpha traits... but he did. He was just excellent at suppressing them.

But the longer he was under Lance's control, the harder it became to hide his true feelings. He found it harder and harder to force himself to obey, to bow down. Eema, his wolf, was tired of letting that stupid child control him. No longer.

Especially not since he was doing such a shit job of being Alpha. Not only did he not care, but he did nothing to discipline his pack. Lance claims to be like a "parent" to his pack members, but little does he know that he is the opposite. Not only does he let them treat him so informally, but now he's putting a stupid woman over the pack, over his people.

Carolyne Magna was a magnet, and she would draw in a darkness that would kill them all. So, Waylon decided that he would do what his Alpha was too weak and stupid to do; side with the darkness. Get rid of the threat before it ever became a threat.

Panting, Waylon comes to a stop as he hears a rustling in the bushes around him. The air was crisp and cold and smelled heavily of pine and cedar and of enemy wolves. The dead pine needles softened his footsteps, making his approach quieter. He'd passed the border about a day ago, and he was steadily making his way toward the heart of the territory, the atrocious scent of the Alpha burning his nostrils. Eema, his wolf, whined. He didn't like the way this felt.

A low growl emanated from the foliage ahead of him, the ferns parting as a white wolf crept towards him, its head hung low, lips pulled back in a wicked snarl, its eyes so grey they were almost white.

Fool, you should know that all trespassers are to be executed on-site! The wolf growled at Waylon, and the sandy-colored wolf flattened his ears, tensing up, baring his teeth defensively.

What if this fool carries news? He barks, his ears flicking around as they caught the sounds of other wolves approaching.

Speak, pup. The she-wolf yips, raising her head curiously as others prowl up to her, flanking her sides.

I have news about Carolyne Magna. Waylon huffs, licking his lips, flashing them his wolfish grin, raising his head up high. And I demand to speak to your Alpha.

The she-wolf stares at him for a moment, and then flings her head back in a wide arch, letting out a long, low howl, calling to the others.

The Alpha has a guest! She howled and then looks back down at him. Follow, and keep up if you can.

It took an entire day to get to the center of the Magna territory. The white wolf in front of him, Delaine, was a scout that had been assigned to watch the outer borders. She was also the Beta of the Magna's, and Waylon could sense the power rolling off of her in waves. It made his skin crawl.