Chapter Four

Apparently I get the small room across the hallway from Stephanie. Great. My new room sucks.

Not only is it small, but I got the worst view in the house. I am literally so close to a house, that when I look out the window, I see my neighbor's window blocking the view. Really? Who wants to look through their neighbor's window? So much for wanting a view.

Our parents came up the stairs to check on us. "So which rooms did you two pick as your own," mom asked us with a warm smile and her brown eyes twinkling. Before I could complain about how horrible my room is, Stephanie came out of her room with a smile on her face. "I chose this room with the bay window. I love it so much," Stephanie happily replied to mom as she was pointing to her new room.

Well at least Stephanie's happy now. Mom and dad both smiled wide at her. "I knew you were going to pick that one because of the bay window," mom said as dad chuckled. Then dad turned to me and asked, "Are you happy with your room kiddo?" I glared angerly at Stephanie and replied to dad, "Not really. Stephanie was being unfair."

"Steph, were you being unfair," mom asked Stephanie with a glare. Steph then gave me a look and said, "No! I called that room first! Then you wanted it! Just because your younger than me, that doesn't mean you can get things your way, Conner!"

That made me mad. "Actually, Steph, since you're the oldest, you always get your way and it's annoying," I yelled at her. "Enough!" mom and dad both yelled at us.

" You two have been in a bad mood since this morning! I get that you hate moving but your mother and I worked hard to get this house and at least what you two can do is be thankful," dad yelled at us, his eyebrows scrunched together. Mom's eyebrows are the same way. That made Stephanie and I quiet.

We both softly said "Sorry", and our parents told us it's about time for bed. "I'll grab both of your comforters and pillows out of the car so you can get cozy in your new beds," mom told the both of us softly as she went downstairs. Dad glared at both of us one last time and said, "Behave for now on." Then he went downstairs.

*( Later that night)*
I'm so scared to sleep in my new room on the first night. I cannot sleep with Stephanie tonight because we were arguing. Mom and dad won't let me hit the hay with them because they want me to get use to sleeping in my new room.

I wonder if Stephanie is scared to sleep alone in her new room. As mom was putting my comforter and pillows on my new bed, she said to me, "Don't worry. We locked all the doors so nobody can get in. You're safe here. There's nothing you should be afraid of."

When she was done making my bed, I crawled on my bed and slipped under my covers. When I laid down, my mom kissed me on the forehead. "Goodnight, baby. I love you," mom softly said to me.

When I always look at mom, she looks like Stephanie. They both have blonde hair and brown eyes. I, on the other hand, look like dad. We both have blue eyes and messy brown hair.

"Goodnight mom. I love you too," I replied to her. Then she walked out of my room, leaving my door open. Across the hall, I saw dad come out of Stephanie's room. He had made her bed and said goodnight to her. Dad smiled at me and told me goodnight while he shut my door. It was almost pitch black in my room.

Feeling creeped out by the darkness, I decided to turn on my new lamp. The light of the lamp made me feel comfortable. As my eyelids grew heavy, I darted my eyes to my window. The light to my neighbor's window was on. Somebody's awake.

I yawned, rolled over, and instantly fell asleep.

*(The next morning)*
I woke up to sunlight shining on me through the window. I really need to put curtains in my room. I sat up, rubbed my eyes, and looked around my quiet bedroom.

I have survived my first night here.

Realizing I kept my lamp on the whole night, I turned it off and slowly got out of bed. Is anyone else awake? As I wondered that question, I walked out of my room and across the hall to see if Stephanie's still awake. I saw Stephanie still asleep in her bed.

Should I wake her or leave her be?

But before I could decide, I heard the front door opening.

I got to check that out.