Proto Bleak Light

The world we live in had changed before I was born. Heaven's blessings dimmed due to human's destruction of the very world. Tarnished by wars and disease, in the name of religion, most ridiculously if you ask me, the world has changed; so did we. 

Every human born after the Shift has equally light and darkness within and must strive to keep the balance as well as possible until the Judgement. Not too much of either. 

A plague had spread since the Shift into the world; they call it Blight. It's like liquid darkness, if you touch it it's not a problem but if it gets into a cut or in your eyes or if you're truly an idiot and you drink it, your balance tips to darkness. There's also a cure few of us can make by drawing light from the surrounding medium; what's left of the blessing of Heavens. Yeah, this is also liquid and you can get it at hospitals. Though there's a gamble to how much Cure you can get to fight your Blight; Cure is addictive and may tip your balance to light too fast.

What's wrong about that? Any side you tip too much to turns you into a monster. You tip too much to darkness, you gain demonic traits. You tip too much to light, you gain angelic traits. Well then tipping to light doesn't sound that bad now does it? You couldn't be more wrong. Unless you'd like to be a mindless marionette with wings, why would you think it's a good idea?

Angels have no feelings, demons may have too many; either way you mustn't tip the balance. Even so, do humans ever listen?

I am Nim Caligo, and all I ever knew was countless experiments, training and balancing. For I was born with a recurring Blight no Cure ever fully treats without endangering to get me light addicted. My only somewhat reason to keep on going is Elliora. She's the head of the department that tries to deal with me, Elliora Crescent. And she's also Blighted since birth, like me. 

Silver hair is the brand of Blighted; I've perhaps always hated my silver hair. I wonder what color should it have been. My mother was blonde and long haired. Though she died giving birth to me. Because she turned into a monster; I tipped her balance to black and she was so frail after giving birth to me that turning killed her. Dad always hated me and was more than glad sending me away to this facility. Though this place felt more like home than my real home did. Elliora... she always made silver beautiful. She was lean and slender, her face always painted in an elegant and caring expression. She kept her hair combed up in a rich high tail and a straight fringe that almost always hid any twist of brow when someone did step on her tail. 

What will become of us, I don't know. All I know is that we are not the only ones like this. And that life is unfair, ever since before we came into being. And what caused it is shrouded in thick mist.