Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Lunch was great for Trent. Unusually great. The football team asked him to sit with them, while the cheerleaders were swooning over him. Trent thought nothing had changed since last year, but he guessed that maybe his sudden growth spurt and his new contacts in place of his glasses were responsible for all this attention. Also, his dad started working at the gym as a trainer in the summer, and so Trent could get in the weight room for free. He took advantage of that. Trent wasn't really sure how to handle it, but he was definitely enjoying it. By the end of the day he had six girls' numbers, an invitation to the football team, an invitation to the mathletes, an invitation to the soccer team, and a letter of acceptance from a girl sorority type group. Wow. Trent was happy, which made him wonder. Why? I'm never this lucky. Should I just accept it or question it? What's happening, exactly? Where are my old friends anyway? How did I get so high up on the social pyramid? What did I do to deserve this? His questions were interrupted by another question.

"How was your day?" Trent just walked in the house to find his dad watching football on the patched up couch.

"Hey, dad. And it was good."

"Good? I can't remember the last time you said that word about a personal question!"

"Haha very funny." Trent dropped his backpack on the kitchen counter. He reached into the cupboard for a snack. Grabbing some Pringles, he walked over to the couch and plopped down, joining his dad.

"Naw Trent, I really am happy for you. I'm so glad you finally enjoy school!"

"Whoa whoa whoa, I didn't say I enjoyed school, I just said today was good."

"Mhm, we'll see about that," his dad said as he stole a Pringle and smirked at Trent. Trent laughed and they both turned to watch the screen. Trent asked,"So who's in the lead?"