FOUR

What does one say to the person asking them for their complete trust? Their blind trust, to be exact. Are they simply supposed to agree and make a vow that they will follow beyond all obstacles? To ask that of someone would be to ask for their life. It would bind those people and carry them, together, through thick and thin. It is a demand that can only be paid by a promise of something. But of what, is the real question. For only a promise of something grand would ever compel one to offer up their free will.

*****

"Promise you'll trust me, Arista."

I do not think that I can answer this question in a way that will not hurt me. On one side of it, I could say no. That would be the logical thing to do; give a flat out refusal and continue to stare out the window. In any way, this option is the one that calls my name. The safer one. I have never been one to play on the dangerous side of life. For how can one trust a man who had practically volunteered to kill them? But, even then, that would put him even more on my bad side. Not tusting him would probably make this whole situation worse. By worse I mean because I would ultimately die.

You know the real reason why not trusting him would be a problem, Arista.

On the other side of it, I could say yes. There is something undeniably tempting about putting faith into people, no matter the risks involved. Maybe it is the unexpected things that come from blind trust that entice the weak at heart, myself that is, to jump head first into the pool. Both the good and the bad repercussions that can only be brought on by this bond. The unspoken declaration of more. More to come, more to expect, more to experience. It is a first try, last ditch attempt to have that person for just a little bit longer.

And deep down, despite the undoubted consequences that will follow, I know that I have to have Finnick. If only for one day. If I am only given one more chance to be dangerous then let this be it.

"I promise, Finnick."

As soon as I release the words from their cage in my mind it really does feel like I am flying. Maybe that is because the train peaks over the mountain the very second I say them, showcasing an array of beautiful trees, flowers, and medows as far as the eye can see. Or maybe it is because Finnick wraps his arms tighter around my hips and hauls me against his steady form.

Yeah, it is definitely the second thing.

I cannot honestly decide what is more wonderful, the sun shining on this beautiful spectacle of nature or the two bronze arms holding me. Their warmth ignites a fire in my bones that I never want to let die out. I know that what I am allowing myself to feel is absurd but would it not be even crazier to deny myself the chance to feel something like this ever again?

"You remind me of my mother," Finnick's words break the silence that had been brought on by me and me thoughts, "she never needed to say much to say everything. God, she could say nothing and you would still know just what she was thinking. She wore it in her eyes."

My heart stops and simultaneously beats faster at his words as he pauses to catch his breath, twirling a piece of my hair in process.

"She was beautiful, not in a conventional way but it was there. In the way she spoke and moved and was. She was simplicity with a depth. A whisper that had the intensity of a roar. Something so many people overlooked but boy, did she knock them all on their asses."

Finnick's chuckle is humourless as I turn in his arms, becoming distinctly aware of how glued together we are. I rest my head on his sweater clad chest, absorbing his saltwater scent and melting into him.

"She was kind though. My mother always put everyone before herself. One of those special people who made you feel like you meant something. But it wasn't me who mattered, or anyone else for that. It was her who did. She was everything."