Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

// Prudence //

Amid it all, I fell in and out of sleep.

I didn't know when it was night or day anymore, but I had an idea because of the phone, but it had been dead for a while now. My hope wasn't dead, though, not yet.

But when there was a pounding on the door leading down here, my heart sunk again. I didn't want to see him again, I didn't want to go through anything ever again. My hands started shaking, and soon enough, my whole body joined in.

But as the door opened and light streamed in, I noticed this figure was taller, better built. And then I saw his face and gasped.

His mouth opened, and he blinked then stared at me, curled up against the wall. My hair felt lanky, and I knew my clothes were blood-splattered. I presumed I had begun to develop bruises, since everywhere hurt, but he'd seen me bruised before.

Twice before, in fact.

I never guessed the person to find me would be him, who was still staring in shock. His lips moved to form a word - my name, and it came out shakily.

"Prudence?"

"Hi, Howard," I croaked, raising my hand to wave. 

--

"Why are you here?" Howard asked, not moving towards me at all, gripping his schoolbag like I'd attack any minute.

"Why are you here? Did you stumbler across this place accidentally? Where am I, by the way?" It was hard to speak, so my voice wasn't loud, but I had so many questions.

"I live here," He said in disbelief. "I just didn't know there was a basement before."

"Oh my god," I whispered. "So, did you know that there were girls being kept here?"

"No, of course not!" He said. "I'm not.. I didn't.. It's just me and my dad.. We.."

I'd never seen him at loss for words before, and it might have been amusing if it wasn't in such a situation. 

"I guess you didn't realise your dad was a serial killer either," I sighed. "Anyway, come on, as much as you hate me, just help me out of here, I'm hurt."

He moved backwards. "No, I can't.."

"What do you mean you can't?" My voice cracked. I hadn't drunk in two days. "Why not? You need to! I know we don't really get on, but, this is my life here! And several other innocent lives!"

"It's my dad!" He said. "My dad's all I have, if I get you out, he'll get arrested.."

"I.. I won't tell anyone!" I said desperately, seeing that he was slowly trying to get away. "Howard, please! I'll die, you know I will!"

"He'll kill me too, you don't get it," Howard whispered. "I've lived with him for seventeen years. I know him better than anyone, he won't hesitate to kill his own son."

I didn't know what to say, because Howard looked as scared as I felt, and I couldn't comfort him.

"Please," was all I could say. "Don't let them say it was you, tell someone I said that... Please, just find my dad-"

"I'm not going to the cops."

"Avery?" I suggested weakly. "Even Madison Roberts, she's in my year-"

He looked down. "I don't know, okay? But I have to get to school.."

"Howard-" I tried to say something else, but he had already gone up the staircase, and left, slamming the door behind him. 

And then I screamed, smacking my fist against the wall over and over, a new scream of anger every time it connected. It hurt, but I was in pain already, so it barely made a difference.

I wanted to hate Howard completely now, but I couldn't help feel pity for him, and I couldn't help pinning my every hope on him, so desperately.