Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

// Avery //

I knew perfectly well what I was getting into when I shouted at Prudence, but when I'd left behind drug dealers and getting arrested, it had been boring. Then I'd started school, and I'd began talking to her again. But she was gone now, out of my life, and it was boring without her.

But, even without me flanking her, my face like a target for people to throw insults at like darts, she'd gotten into trouble. I think half the school had heard Gareth shout at her, and half of me wanted to laugh at it and the other half of me wanted to punch something. He'd basically said the same words I had, except probably better, and she'd probably not given a single fuck, because she was grinning like a loon afterwards. I could imagine her telling her best friend that she'd pissed off one of the most popular guys in the school. I guessed I should've known, once she was in the mess, she wouldn't just hop out of it. She'd mess it up even more. I could've slam my face into my desk, but I didn't want to disturb Ms. Lawless, who'd just come in, ready to shout at me for my grammar problems.

But it went smoothly, with everyone writing essays on Shakespeare and me messing mine up, so I had to go up at the end of class, after everyone had left, and ask for help, which felt pretty stupid, but I was stupid. I'd never pretended otherwise.

She sighed. "Avery, it's quite simple really.. I don't know why you still have issues, I mean, you're eighteen, surely you can remember a few quotes from a play and give your opinion. I might have a sample sheet here.." She looked around her table, full of sheets and folders and copies, and went through them messily, knocking down an envelope which I nicely picked up and handed back to her. It read "Ms. Melinda Lawless' on it, so I presumed that was her first name. She looked at it, confused, then turned away from me to open it up. I wondered why she had to do it right now, but she suddenly gasped, and the envelope fell to the ground. I looked at her, and she seemed horrified, her hand clasped over her mouth and her eyes wide. I leaned down to pick it up, and something slipped out - a photo.

"Don't-" She said, but I'd already seen, as I tried to pick it up.

The photo was one of a girl, slumped against a wall, her mouth gagged.

Her clothes were splattered in blood.

I recognised her from the halls, one of the quieter freshman, but still enthusiastic.

Natasha O'Neill.

--

"Avery, you mustn't tell anyone," She said. The photo was back in the envelope, placed under her pile of sheets. "We wouldn't want to create a panic.. I'll tell the principal, and she can notify the police.."

"Natasha was one of your students, wasn't she?"

Ms. Lawless nodded. "One of my best."

"Why was this left for you?" I asked, though I doubted she'd tell me even if she knew.

"I.. I don't know." She sat down, her elbows on the table, her hands shaking. Prudence's hands shook when she was scared, too. "You should leave, get to class."

I wanted to object, but she'd have none of it. According to teachers, your education was more important than anything, and that included murder. I left, my bag slung over my back, wondering what I could do. Because it wasn't much, not without telling her.

I didn't, though, and stayed in school, enduriung the usual glares. Everyone seemed to be talking about what they were doing after school - the different colleges, and all that stuff. There was a community college around, and it was likely that if I went to college, that would be the place I went to.

What did I want to do, though? I had no idea.

I could picture Prudence, sitting opposite me as I began singing and strumming at my guitar, a smile slowly lighting up her features. And then I wanted to whack my head against the wall, just so I could forget her because she was constantly there, and I couldn't afford that. I didn't want to face up to it, influencing my every decision. But perhaps I could make it as a solo singer, because it was all I could actually do. The likelihood, admittedly, was slim, because nobody ever really hit the jackpot when it came to making their own music, especially when you're from Oakwood. But it was all I had.

--

Friday arrived, with no news of Natasha circulating around the school, other than the fact everyone presumed her dead or dying. We were a hopeless town, seemingly. And there'd be nothing interesting in such a long time, yet everything that peaked the interest of teenagers had to be tragic. Girls were walking home in groups, or at least with their boyfriends, and they were probably armed with at least pepper spray. I heard Gareth's girlfriend giggle about having a gun hidden in her bag.

I doubted that. Everyone lies to impress people, though Kayla didn't need to impress. She had everything already - dirty blonde hair, perfect tan body and a pretty face, but a twisted one. To me, she screamed annoying. She was annoying, actually, except most other girls in my class didn't seem to think so, and the boys didn't care since she wore miniskirts and low-cut tops.

When it finally ended, and it dragged out because I had nothing to do during break and lunch, I had made my decision. I went from my locker to the corridor across from me, then yanked at a certain Egyptian hipster bag. The girl turned around, her mousy brown hair falling in waves around her face.

"What do you want?" Prudence snarled.

"Okay, okay, I know you hate me, but this is important."

"Hate you? Oh no, Avery, I don't just hate you. I absolutely despise you. Why are you so bipolar? One day we're friends, and the next you tell me to fuck off! It's like you haven't grown at all since you were fifteen!" She half-screams this at me, furious. Madison appears, making a beeline for Prudence, then assesses the situation and walks right by.

"I'm sorry, okay? I really am! Maybe it's best if we don't hang around anymore, yeah, but I need to tell you something, it's about the case," I replied, hoping she'd hear that I was being sincere.

She paused, pursing her lips. "Fine."

I hide a smile. "I'll tell you on the way home."