Chapter 3 - A plan is hatched

Chapter 3 – A plan is hatched ©

It was early on my last Friday morning at the Gate and normally I would have been sleeping but a strange dream had been plaguing me. A flying horse from Argonia had been struck in mud and I had to save her.

Then I was flying on her back so very carefree at least until I fell off. I loved the flying horses; they were always so very graceful and breathtaking in the air. I had always wanted one but they were unable to be tamed.

I shook my head at my own silliness and decided to go visit Caden and see if he was up. A tiny thrill crept along my spine every time I thought of seeing him or talking to him. I was addicted to seeing his face every day and I couldn't stay away. I wandered into the Gate room with the mirror standing proud and tall.

"Caden are you awake?" I asked hesitantly but with a little smile of anticipation.

"Yes I am and we need to have words right now." He told me sternly and I gulped in air at the fierce expression on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly.

"I just had an interesting conversation with my brother. It seems that this is all your fault." His furious face was thunderous and even worse I had no idea what he was talking about.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion, terrified of his expression.

"Do not pretend that you do not know what I am talking about!" He almost snarled at me and I felt myself shrinking down to be invisible to escape his wrath as my heart pounded with a vicious aching.

"Just tell me what you are talking about and I promise I will try to fix it." I cried as tears welled in my eyes but all he did was laugh in a cruel and demeaning way.

"You are the reason I am trapped in this tower and you dare to pretend that nothing is wrong?" He yelled at me, his green eyes bright with an unbelievable rage.

"I'm not....I didn't." I spluttered through tears as my heart felt like it was tearing in two.

"You told Markus to lock me up here. You told him I would be rescued. The worst thing though is that you turned up here and I thought you were different but it turns out you are the same as the rest." He accused me.

I felt my heart snap in two and I could stand it no longer as my tears escaped. I went running from the room as Mary was coming in, we crashed together with a grunt but I got up and kept on running. She called out to me curiously but I didn't stop.

I spent the rest of the day wallowing in my room, at least until some sense came into my head. He had upset me to a point where I was unable to think straight. With great determination I walked back to the attic, this time prepared for a show down. When I got there though I was surprised to find it had already begun.

"Show yourself!" I heard Marys voice say commandingly so I stayed at the door and listened.