Chapter Five

"And that's how you get 5.46. You just have to apply this formula then divide it by two."

Olivia scrunched her eyebrows, feeling her brain turning into mush. Jungkook was patient as he explained the steps one by one—not missing a single detail. They've been doing the tutoring session for several weeks now and Olivia had come to know Jungkook a little bit better despite his quiet demeanour.

(Emphasis on "a little bit")

Olivia was naturally friendly and social and could practically get anyone to warm up to her in under an hour. But warming up to Jungkook, however, proved to be an even harder feat than taking intermediate Math.

Jungkook was too quiet—aloof, and would only speak to her if it's a subject related to Math or school in general.

Olivia believe you could tell a little bit about a person in the way they dressed or the things they owned. Jungkook almost always wore black or one of those white shirts that seemed to be too big for his figure. The fact that he carries around the same gray backpack didn't really give her much to analyze on either.

Jungook was literally a walking mystery. And Olivia was slightly getting tired of figuring him out.

"I think we can call it a day." Jungkook suddenly said when Olivia finished the last of the exercise he had given her. "You did okay today."

Olivia tried not to snort at that. "Okay" was probably the closest thing to a compliment Jungkook has ever given her. She looked up and saw him already standing from his seat and gathering his belongings.

Olivia bit her lip, unsure what on earth she was thinking when she blurted, "Hey Jungkook? Are you busy later?"

The library was already quiet as it is, but with Jungkook pausing and turning to stare at her like she has just spoken to him in a different language, the silence was almost deafening.

"Why?" He asked. "Do you need more time to review...?"

"No, I—" Olivia shook her head, her hand gripping the pencil so tightly she feared she might break it. She wasn't sure either what came over to ask such a thing.

Because you wanted to get to know him once and for all, a small part of her brain said.

Jungkook looked at her expectantly and Olivia thought since it was already out there, she might as well finish what she started.

"I'm just...really hungry." She sighed and Jungkook's eyes rose slightly. "I was wondering if you wanted to grab some McDonalds... My treat!" She added at the last minute, as if bribery was the only way to get him to say yes.

Olivia held her breath for an answer. She could almost feel the "no" resonating through Jungkook's blank stare. He always seemed like he had somewhere else to be and was almost always in a rush to leave; their sessions always ending on the dot. So Olivia was sure he would say—

"Sure."

Olivia sighed in defeat, and then perked up when she realized she had heard him wrong.

"Wait, what?"

"I said sure." Jungkook simply said as he placed his Math textbook into his backpack. He slung one of the straps onto his right shoulder and looked at her expectantly. "You coming?"

It took Olivia about ten seconds to gather her things and follow Jungkook out of the library; feeling fulfilled at having her mystery tutor finally agree to do more than just teach her about fractions and integers.

"I'm ready, let's go!" She said as she went towards him, practically bouncing like a puppy. Jungkook merely looked at her then, shook his head slightly before turning and walking ahead.