Nora

I took a deep breath in, trying to imprint the smell of him onto my mind as he drove towards the farmhouse, I always hated leaving him, I always felt so alone, plus it was still light out, but my mom put a curfew on how long I spend with Patch. I understand he's not exactly what she expected,  but she could at least give me the benefit of the doubt and trust me. 

"Angel? Did you hear anything I said?" he was smiling under his cap, I shook my head "I'm sorry what?" He chuckled and rested his hand on my thigh, "I said, i was thinking about taking a trip to Portland tomorrow. I thought we could go together and make a day of it" I smiled at the thought of spending an entire day with Patch outside of Coldwater and outside my moms prying eyes, I felt of rush of something stronger than excitement, almost dark, the familiar feeling of desire flushed through my body, but then i felt a pang of guilt and sighed "I promised my mom I'd stay home tomorrow" He nodded, understanding how protective my mom was over me. I looked out the window of the Jeep Commander and realised we were already on my road, the farm house could be seen through a knot of trees. My stomach twisted at the thought of being alone in the farmhouse, the journey home was always shorter than I wanted it to be. As he cruised the Jeep up the driveway he stopped short. I looked to see what was going on and saw a Lotus parked in my driveway. Patch looked at me, looking for an explanation, seeing none, he hopped out the car and walked around the car, probably checking if there was anything suspicious about it. I stared at it with curiosity, it was the most expensive looking car I'd ever seen, whoever owned this had serious cash. As i stepped out the car to take a closer look, the front door of the house opened and stood in the doorway was Cathy. I grinned and ran to her "What are you doing here?!" She laughed, and pointed at the car "Like it?" She called to Patch who glared at her, I didn't understand why he resented her so much. Cathy turned to me and smirked "Guess who's staying with you for a while?" I gasped and stared at her, was she really staying with us again? She nodded as if reading my thoughts. I grinned. "Omigosh this is amazing!" I turned to say good bye to Patch but he was already backing out the driveway. I frowned and crossed my arms, it wasn't like him to just leave, by the time i turned back to Cathy she had disappeared from the doorway. 

"Do you remember that one winter, we were trapped here by the flood? and we all began to go insane until Harrison brought out a load of paper and we made planes throwing them around the house?" I laughed and nodded, we were sat in my room on my bed with mugs of hot chocolate and in our pyjamas. It felt so good remembering all the good times I had had with Cathy and my parents when I was younger. "Didn't my dad accidentally knock over a vase when he reached up for one that got caught in the rafters and my mom went crazy?" She laughed harder and almost spilled her hot chocolate, "Oh man i remember that! She was trying so hard not to laugh but in the end we were all in fits of giggles". I smiled at the image of my dad smiling and laughing with me. Cathy wiped her eyes and finished off her hot chocolate. "When is your mom back?" I shrugged, "I dunno, normally she's back around 10, and its 9:30 now". She nodded and stood up, "I'm going to go and crawl into bed, I'm exhausted" I nodded and yawned myself, "Me too." She waved and left for the spare bedroom. I was left alone to my own thoughts, which normally wandered to Patch. But not tonight, this time they wandered deep into the past, to when Cathy lived with us, to when my dad was around, to when we were all together, when the world wasn't so complicated.  

Then it hit me, She can mind speak.