Chapter 1

"I told you, I'm not seeing a boy!" I yell at my mom, whipping around to the front door. The blue bag hung across my shoulder as I walked out, not turning around.

   "Violet Harper Griffin, you get back here right now!" Mother yelled in agony as I strutted out of the house, hoodie up against my black wavy hair. My outfit consisted of a baggy grey hoodie with a blue shirt underneath, as well as black yoga pants. Not that it meant anything.

With hair from the corners of my hoodie flowing in the wind, I made my way down the street. The bag I was carrying held all of the materials I had when running away. The converse clicked against the sidewalk. I sighed before pushing my glasses back on the bridge of my nose.

   These fights always ended this way. We fight. I leave. Calm myself down. Then they find me. It's like an endless loop. I plan to stay gone this time though. Finally, I made my way to Mabel's house. Mabel has been my childhood friend for years, I can't even remember exactly how long.

   My knuckles knocked on the door in a quick three bang manner until I heard shuffling and a huge crash. Let's just say Mabel's a bit clumsy at times.

   "I've got it!" A muffled voice cries before the door is swung open viciously. With light brown hair, bright blue eyes, baggy jeans and a rainbow star sweatshirt, my friend stood there. She gave me a smile full of braces.

   "Ah, another fight again?" She asked. I nodded before she opened the door to me. "What was it this time?"

"My mother still believes I'm seeing a boy every time I leave," I scoff, dropping my bag on her floor as I look at her clock. 7:54 P.M.

"At least you always have me!" Mabel exclaims, throwing her hands up. Laughter fills the room, and before I know it we were telling each other jokes about tacos.

"What.. what time is it?" Mabel asked in between laughs. We looked to the clock on her bedside table. 11:43 P.M. "Sheesh. Do we really have to go to bed?" she whined. I gave her a knowing look before mimicking sleepy faces. "Fine. Guess it's time to sleep," She yawned, placing a sleeping mat on the floor along with pillows and blankets.

   "Yeah, good night," I said, laying down on the mat. Closing my eyes and counting sheep, I slowly made my way to sleep.

~~~

   Muffled voices filled my hearing as I slowly came to conscience from my sleep. My eyes fluttered open until I was met with Mabel's back. When did she move there?

   "What's that?" I mumbled in a drowsy voice.

   "Shhhh," she whispers, not turning to me.

   "She's in there," the female voice said. I knew that voice from anywhere.

   "What is your mom doing up at, what, 3 in the morning?" I whispered, sitting up.

   "Shhhhhh!" Mabel cried, turning to me. "Grab your bag and any one blanket and pillow." She got onto her knees before pulling a bag from under her bed.

   "Why?" I asked. Just then Mabel's mom and dad pulled open the door slowly, as if we were still asleep. Her mom, whom had chin-length black hair and emerald green eyes, was wearing baggy sweatpants and a blue shirt. Her father on the other hand had curly brown hair and blue eyes. His outfit was a nice pair of jeans and a button up shirt. He was holding a brown sack as well.

   "Ah, the girl's up," her mom sighed, rubbing her temple with her hand.

   "Grab and run!" Mabel yelled, opening her window. My arms wrapped around a black blanket and pillow before jumping after Mabel.

   "Hurry Kique, they're getting away!" Her father shouted, throwing a random net at me. (A/N: It's pronounced 'Kee-Kay') My head dodged it narrowly before I got out, falling out the window. A cushion lay on the floor. Why the hell was there a cushion outside?!

   "Run run run!" Mabel ordered me, ushering me with her hand. I followed hurriedly, risking a look behind me. Both parents raced behind us, running faster than any human being I've ever seen.

   "What the hell?!" I cried, turning back to Mabel. She twisted around a tree, with me hot on her trail before she stopped abruptly. She did a 180 degree turn, grabbing my shoulders.

   "I'm about to do something crazy, but you've got to not freak out," Mabel rushed. I nodded slowly as she backed up. Her parent's footsteps grew closer and closer by the millisecond until Mabel closed her eyes. Giant black wings sprung from her back before she grabbed me.

   "What is wrong with my life?!" I asked myself as we started springing into the air.

   "The Star is getting away!" Mabel's father screeched as we flew away. All I could do was hold on tight to my stuff and Mabel and watch the land fly by.

   "The Humans will start waking up soon," Mabel mumbled under her breath as she started falling into a forest. We landed slowly before Mabel let me go.

   "Okay, I'm done with the mysteries. Spill it. Now," I demand, looking Mabel straight in the eyes. I don't know how I could even stand at the moment, seeing as I was shaking from head to toe.

   "Alright, I'm a demon," Mabel replied, her wings shrinking back into her.. uh.. back. "Well, a winged demon anyways. My parents were born as speed demons."

   "Why did your parents refer to me as 'The Star'?" I questioned, not even deterred by the fact demons are real.

   "Well, there's a legend that a star would bring along not only another war but will be the most powerful supernatural out in the world," Mabel explained, pulling a tent out of her bag. "I've been assigned to protect you until you earned your powers, and you've been sending the star vibe recently."

   "So you're saying I'm that star?" I ask in disbelief.

   "Yeah. Haven't you ever noticed how you're adopted?" She stated, finishing up the tent.

   "Wh-WHAT?! I'm adopted?" I made my way to the tent, opening it to practically a mansion inside. My mouth fell open for both reactions.

   "Yeah. Does it not ring a bell why you fight a lot? Why you never got their genes? Why you act so... different?"

___
A/N: Hello guys! So I've finally gotten the first chapter done. Proud of me?!

Yeah I didn't think so...