Emily Puregood

"Good morning sweetheart. It's time to get up." My mom gently shook me awake. "Come on sweetie, it's your first day of school." 

"I'm up, mom, I'm up." I stirred

"Alright. Hurry and get ready. I'll start making your favorite breakfast." 

"Uh, okay, thanks." I muttered. Mom left my room, closing the door behind her. I slumped out of bed and looked through my closet for something to wear. I hate my clothes. I'm not allowed to pick anything for myself. It's apparently "too dark" for my family's liking. Mom always buys pastel colored clothes, name brands, or clothes with flowers. I just want to wear all black. I groaned, picking out a simple pair of blue jeans and a navy blue blouse with flowers. I quickly changed and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I hate how I look. I sighed and started to curl my bleach blonde hair like I usually do. My hair irritates me as well. I was born with black hair, but my parents and all of my siblings all have natural blonde hair. Where we used to live in Canada, people thought my mom had an affair, so from the early age seven, she had my hair bleached to blonde. I quickly finished my hair, coating it with hair spray. I next did my usual makeup routine: foundation, natural smokey eye, light eyeliner, heavy mascara, and lip gloss. I also wished that I could do a darker look, but I can't. 

Let me explain. My mother grew up in a house  of witches, seeing as she was one herself. She had told me stories before. She loved it, but eventually had a traumatic experience that she always explains vaguely. She stopped doing magic. She went to college, got a job as a lawyer, got married, and had kids(that all have Pagan names). She became an average American woman. I was the second child she had out of the six and I'm the only one that holds powers. She tries to shelter me from the world of magic, but she has taught me a few things to protect myself, just in case. So that's why she wants me to look and be like a "normal" girly girl. She does love all the dark things in life, she just pushes it away and pushes the light. Anyway, I've stolen some of her books of magic that she grew up on, so I teach myself witch craft and black magic.

We moved from Canada because Mom was paranoid that people were getting suspicious about her and my abilites. Now we're in Salem, Oregon- The Witch City. To tell you the truth, I'm not excited. It's hard for my to make friends, mostly because I don't like the kind of people I attract. I'm really reserved, but Mom insists that I have at least ten friends in the next two months. Dad doesn't have much to say on this topic. 

I sigh, collecting my school bag and hiding my wand in it. Mom doesn't want me to have my wand with me either. She never seems to notice that I take it everywhere I go. 

"Emily, Lux, Tyr, Astrid, Celeste! Breakfast!" Mom yelled, sweetly. We all rushed downstairs to claim our seats at the table. Served was waffles and fruit to top it with. 

"Oh, honey," My dad started. "Draco is coming to see the new house soon."

"Really?" Mom perked up.

"That's what he told me." Dad smiled. Draco is the oldest, in his second year in college. Next, there's me, a junior in high school, then my sister Celeste, who's a sophmore, then my brother Tyr, who's in eighth grade, lastly my sister Astrid and my adoptive brother Lux are both in sixth. It's a bit of a busy household here. 

I finished breakfast rather quickly and headed out to the bus stop. My parents gave everyone else a ride to school. The one I declined. 

Time to start fresh in a school of people I'll most likely hate for being too stupid.