Chapter 4: The Grave

*sorry for any mistakes*

Chapter 4: The Grave

**********

Victoria’s POV

**********

I tighten the grip I have over my small luggage and walk down the small set of stairs. I look around and see that every inch of the airport is filled by people waiting for their flight. I continue my way down to the bottom of the airport and walk outside. The familiar smell of the city fills my senses; I look around inspecting how much my home city has changed, not much. I wave my hand out in the air and a taxi immediately is by my side. I place my luggage inside and sit down on the cab seat; the driver stares at me blankly, awaiting my directionsso I quickly tell him my mother’s address.

Tall skyscrapers fill my view, countless buildings rush by one by one as we drive. My company’s headquarters can be seen from miles away, the building where my father worked at. We pass the many buildings and busy streets and head towards the outskirts of the city, somewhere more peaceful.

My eyes gaze at the different homes that we pass, my heart starts beating faster because I know we’re getting closer, closer to that house that destroyed me. The taxi stops and I look at the familiar house that stands before me. My breath deepens as I pay the driver and walk towards the big door. I knock on it softly, and then slowly increase in making the knocks louder. I wait patiently outside, looking around the house until the door finally opens.

“Victoria!” My mom exclaims and hugs me. I drop my luggage and hug her back and smile.

“Happy birthday mom!” I smile as she takes my luggage and rushes me inside.

“Thank you sweetheart” Her delicate hand wraps around my hand, pulling me towards the living room.

“I lost track of time, sorry I wasn’t there to pick you up” She says sadly.

“It’s okay, don’t worry.” I simply say.

We sit down on her fancy furniture that illuminates the room to the fullest. I look around and notice that there have been small changes to the place. I turn towards the chimney where a large picture is placed beside it, a family picture of us. Honestly, family doesn’t even define what the picture consists of, my father John was never part of this family all he did was rip away any happiness we ever had.

“So what’s the plan for today?” I ask enthusiastically, trying to take my father off my mind.

“A few friends of mine invited me for lunch to celebrate, so while I’m gone you can settle in and rest from you early departure, then we can maybe go out for dinner or something. Is that okay?” She asks curiously.

“Yes, of course mom. You go have fun; I’ll plan something for tonight.”

***

I place my bags inside of what used to be my old room. My heart speeds up as my gaze examines every inch of the deserted room. Small possessions adorn of what’s left of my room. I go towards my bed and fall straight back and let the air from my lungs be kicked out. The house remains in silence now that it is only me in the household.  I listen to the sound of silence, how peaceful it can be, how easily it can rock you to sleep. I curl up on the bed with my eyes closed but for some reason I can’t fall asleep.

A loud noise startles me and I quickly jump up from the bed looking around the room. I stand quietly in my room waiting for any other sound and right before my muscles begin to relax the lights go off. My muscles go completely stiff and my breathing stops. With all of my willpower I have, I force my hand to move towards my pocket and grab my cell phone. My fingers know the familiar movement and within a second I hear the voice that brings the air back into my lungs.