03 | Let's Get Down To Business

The next day, I engaged myself in a long session of reprimanding Felicity for neglecting to tell me all I was missing over the phone. I had returned late at night yesterday, and trust me I wanted to put her in the picture of what had been going on in my head after all was clarified. But I thought it would have been extra rude to bother her when it had been early at dawn in England. So I opted for letting her off the hook for the night.

"What were you thinking!" I exclaimed over the phone, flailing my hand exaggeratedly in the air even though I perfectly knew she couldn't see me.

"For God's sake, North. Calm down! I thought it would be a great idea to keep it as a surprise. I thought you loved surprises, but apparently you don't anymore!" She said with frustration. I could imagine her thick eyebrows furrowing at me.

"It's true, I do love a good surprise. But not one as big as this surprise. You kept it as a secret. For months nonetheless!" I fired back.

"Even if I had told you, nothing would have changed. You still would have gone to New York. Come to think about it, at least I didn't keep New York as a secret! I could've told you that you were going to the South Pole for all I know."

"What do you mean nothing would have changed? Hear this out," I whisper-shouted, "I had to wake up and unexpectedly open the door for Summer Jones. SUMMER JONES! While wearing a raggedy robe, and freakish bird nest you could call a lame-excuse for hair on top my lousy head. And lord knows if I had goop dangling from the corner of my booger colored eyes! "

I knew I was overreacting but I couldn't really help myself.

"Let's get real, North. I'm pretty sure you woke up looking dead gorgeous. Besides, I'm pretty sure Summer admired you. You have a sweet heart, and that's all that matters. You weren't ready when she showed up, so what? No one is a perfectionist."

I felt my anger gradually dissipate and my shoulders slumped back to their normal stance.

It's true that Felicity knows how to calm a person. Crystal clear memories of her hand on my shoulder and concerned yet stern expression flashed on like a film before my eyes. These images were of the multiple times she consoled me whenever my job became too difficult for me to handle. When nothing went the way I wanted, when I lost lots of opportunities for me to shine brighter than a diamond. She had my back, just like a mother would. And indeed she was like a second mother.

Now, here I was, shouting at her like she had just killed my puppy. Rationality sunk in, and I regretted ever raising my voice at her.

"I'm sorry, Felicity. I didn't mean to shout at you. You did what you thought would make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic and grateful to be granted such opportunity. It must be the nervousness settling in. The shoot's in a few hours!" I apologized for my hasty reaction. I glanced down at my rose gold Daniel Wellington watch that was strapped loosely onto my wrist. 1:24 PM.

"It's fine. I've been dealing with your dramatic mood swings ever since I started working for you. You could say I'm used to it now, maybe on the verge of admiring it too. Now you go slay that shoot. In fact, I know you will." She chuckled light-heartedly.

"Alrighty then, I'll text you as soon as the photoshoot wraps up. Hopefully bearing good news. Bye, Felicity." I said, fumbling through the mini-fridge situated beside the bed, searching for something refreshing to drink.

"Laters. Oh and North? I have a guttural feeling that you're going to be a star sooner than you think. Be sure of that." She hung up, her confidence in me leaving a broad smile lingering on my face.

...

As the cab neared the tower where I was supposed to be at 5 PM, I felt the bundle of nerves in my stomach getting even tighter and tighter by the second. I had decided to leave a little earlier than I anticipated, in case there was any traffic on the road that might prevent me from being there on time. It's better to be safe than sorry!