Chapter Two

“I wish things were different.”

What in the bloody hell was that supposed to mean? I didn’t sleep that night thanks to Ethan. I tossed and turned in my bed while I contemplated his words. Did he mean that he wished I didn’t have to marry his father? Did he mean that he wished I was marrying him? Did he wish I wasn’t as poor and hopeless as I was? Whatever it was that Ethan wished; he wasn’t going to tell me, because the very next day he seemed to not even remember our short conversation.

“Good morning Erica, you look lovely today.” Abel said. I smiled and took my seat beside him at the breakfast table. Ethan continued to eat his food, not once acknowledging my presence.

“I thought today I could take you on a tour of the house, I don’t want you getting lost.” Abel suggested.

“That sounds very nice,” I lied. I stared at the spread of food in front of me. It was enough to feed my family for a week, and I was having it for breakfast.

Franny appeared beside me with a pitcher of cold milk. She poured me a glass and patted my shoulder. Already I was beginning to trust the old woman, enough that I’d almost blurted out what went on between Ethan and I last night.

“Does your room suit you? Do you like the dresses? If you don’t like them we can order all new things.” Abel said. His voice rose and fell with concern.

“The room is beautiful, Sir—Abel. The dresses are amazing, I couldn’t have picked out better ones myself. Everything is more than I could have ever imagined, please don’t bother yourself with worrying about me.” I assured him.

“That’s all he’s been doing since he received that conference letter from your father.” Franny teased.

“Confirmation, Franny, I believe that’s what you meant.” Abel laughed. Franny waved him off and disappeared out of the room. Ethan finally looked up and his bright eyes met mine. I felt like my throat was beginning to close.

“It’s not every day that a man gets to marry a beautiful young girl against her will.” He snapped. Abel’s eyes darkened and he glared at Ethan. His lips formed a tight line and he jerked his head toward a door. Ethan stood up, slamming his chair into the table, and stormed off. Abel rose and took my hand.

“Please don’t listen to him,” Abel disappeared into the room after Ethan and I could hear them shouting at each other. Franny was quick to distract me.

“Would you like to see the parlor Miss?” She asked. I shook my head and stood up. I gathered up my dishes, but Franny stopped me.

“That’s my job,” she smiled. I shook my head again.

“If I don’t do something I’ll become one of those lazy women who can’t do anything for herself, besides, isn’t that why Abel got such a young wife?” I sighed.

“Probably not,” Franny muttered.

****