ღ Chapter twenty-five ღ Vanessa's point of view

I didn't sleep well that night. It was as if there was something disturbing me from falling asleep properly. I felt even lonelier than usual.  

I wanted to call Kumi or Sora, just to ask them how the marriage went. But at the moment I dialed their number, I cancelled it. I didn't want to disturb them. Besides, maybe they wouldn't even pick up. How late was it in Japan right now, anyway? 

I waited the entire day for any specific calls whatsoever. I felt bad that I couldn't be there to see my best friend marry the person she loves. But no, I didn't receive a single call. My eyes were burning; I wanted to sleep so badly, but I couldn't dare to sleep. I was awake all night walking around and about until I managed to fall asleep in the morning. But by then, it was too late now wasn't it? 

Knock knock. A maid entered my room hastily, in a way I wasn't accustomed to.  

"You have a visitor from Japan, malady," she said. 

You can't imagine how happy I felt because I immediately thought it was Kumi or Sora. Without any hesitation, I jumped from my bed, grabbed my jacket from my pajama and left my room. But it was my own fault for not asking who the visitor was... 

I ran as fast as I could. I was so happy because the person that came to visit me must've been pretty important. But when I came into the living room, I saw someone else. He was completely in black, his jacket hid his entire body, his hair hid his neck and I couldn't figure out who he was.  

And then I saw the necklace... I immediately figured it out. 

I wanted to say something, to talk to him, but the words wouldn't come out. Why was he here? 

"Get out of my house!!" I yelled. 

My maid came running back. "Madam, is everything okay?" 

"No, but he was just leaving." 

Inoue kept staring at me as if my words had no meaning whatsoever.  

"How can you even think of popping here like that, as if you're welcomed here?" 

My servant just stood there beside him. "Please allow me to show you the way out." 

But Inoue's expression had absolutely no sign that he was going to leave. His expression, however, wasn't the same as how he used to be.  

He walked over to me. I automatically closed my pajama tighter, bracing myself for what he was planning to do.  

But Shinji embraced me without saying anything. And all I could do was let him. I didn't know why I let him actually, but it was like I had felt I needed a hug, and especially his. 

"Vanessa..." He hugged me even tighter. "Vanessa, Kumi is..." 

The moment I heard Kumi's name, I felt like my world has fallen apart, as if my heart has been terribly damaged. I only stood there, quietly and curiously waiting for what he had to say. 

"She's sick. She doesn't have much time left." 

After holding me for a while, he let me go. I kept shaking my head, denying reality once again. I barely felt it when I sat on my sofa. I didn't want to cry, but this pain was unbearable.  

After a few more seconds, I lowered my head and started to cry. Inoue stood still, then came to me and placed his hand on me. Even though I had clothes on, his touch still affected me.  

Shinji helped me up and stared hard at me. "Vanessa, I came to pick you up. She's not dead yet. You might still have the chance to find her alive."