Chapter Nine - Mason

Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like home again.

Adele

Mason's POV

My stupid truck had broken down. Again. On the side of the road. And of course, no one was out that night.

I'd been trying to diagnose the problem for a few hours now. I had popped the hood, and checked all of the fluids, but everything seemed to be in check. It had probably been an engine malfunction. Honestly, I just didn't understand why my parents wouldn't just get me a new car. We could definitely afford it.

And now it's dark out. So the only light source I had are the street lamps. My phone died within an hour of leaving the school parking lot where I left that girl.

Crap, I realized. I still don't know her name. Mason, you're an idiot.

I grabbed a water bottle in my truck and dabbed a little on the washcloth I kept in the dashboard for emergencies like this. I started to try to cool down the engine.

After a few minutes, I dropped the hood and tried to start the truck. Sure enough, I heard the engine roar to life.

I was just about to drive away when I heard a small scream, as if they were interrupted. I immediately jumped out of the truck and ran towards the scream. Whoever it was, they sure needed help. The scream couldn't have been more than a couple blocks down the road.

"Get off of me!" I heard someone yell. The voice sounded so familiar. I heard a disgusting laugh.

"Don't worry, baby, because when I'm done with you, you'll be begging for-"

I saw red. The douchebag didn't even get to finish, because I had tackled him to the ground. As he lay on the ground, I punched him square in the nose, enough for him to start to choke on his own blood.

I looked around for the person he was talking to and saw a flash of blonde.

It's her, I realized. Oh, this douchebag was going to get what he deserved. I looked back to where the man was to find that he wasn't there anymore. He had escaped.

I heard little sobs form behind me, and I immediately rushed to help her. She was on the sidewalk and had looked so frail. Her shirt was torn at the shoulder, and her things were scattered everywhere. I saw her sweater a few feet from her, but it looked so torn that I didn't believe that it could be salvaged. Her hair was a mess of tangled curls, and whatever makeup she was wearing had smeared.

I took off my jacket and tried to drape it over her shoulders, but she moved away from me. I couldn't believe that anyone would even think about hurt her.

"It's alright," I said in a soft voice. "I won't hurt you, I promise." Her arms were crossed on her chest, and I could visibly see her shivering. I tried once more to put my jacket on her, and this time, she didn't resist.

I grabbed her bag on the street where it ended up, and I quickly snatched her belongings. I stuffed everything into her bag, and I hoped she wouldn't mind a little bit of a mess in there. I walked back to where she sat on the sidewalk, and crouched in front of her.

"Can you walk?" I asked. She bit her lip and gave me a slight nod. But as she tried to stand, she lost balance, and almost fell over if I hadn't caught her. I had her wrap her arms around my neck and picked her up - bridal style.

I carried her back to my truck, and gently put her down on the passenger seat. I noticed a piece of hair in front of her face, and I instinctively reached out and tucked it behind her hair. It had felt like silk. She glanced down, and I could see tears in her eyes as she pulled my jacket closer around her small frame.

I tipped her chin up to face me. Her sky blue eyes looked up at me with so much hidden pain.

"You're gonna be okay," I whispered.

~~~