Chapter 3

I tug my suitcase out of the car. Isabelle picked me up four hours ago. Dad was not present, but mom couldn't wait to get me out. Maybe that's why I didn't hug her or say good bye.  I quickly regretted it when Isabelle turned on to the beltway.

Isabelle's house is big. Black shutters and white panels. A porch that wraps from the front to the right side of the house. The grass is a dark, fresh green.

She opens the front door and let's me in first. I haven't been in this house for four years. The mudroom connects into a living room with a tan couch and lounge chair. Spacious and neat. There's no wall separating the kitchen and the living room.

A long island counter sits in the middle of the kitchen with four square bar stools. Isabelle leads me to a set of stairs. We enter a loft with a pool table and couch with a tv.

My room has a bathroom connected. A big bed with white comforters and a desk sitting in the corner. A perfect view of the street with a tree I could climb onto.

Isabelle leaves me to unpack and I turn some music on to fill the silence.

After unpacking, I help Isabelle chop some vegetables for dinner.  We catch up on our lives. Isabelle has been dating a med student for two years, has a job as a middle school teacher, and joined a running club. She didn't enjoy the crime part of my story, but trouble just seems to follow me. But the one time at homecoming when a senior shoved a beer in my hand as the dean approached us was not. My. Fault. I was trying to tell them to get lost.
Isabelle left the house to pick something up from the store and some pastries after dinner.
I flip through her TV guide and finally settle for a movie marathon.

Half way through a sci-fi movie, someone knocks on the door. I check outside the window and see a girl with long dark brown hair in cornrows.

"Hi, here's Isabelle's sugar." The girl hands me the sugar container.

"Thanks. I'll tell her you came."

"I'm Charlotte, I live next door. Haven't seen you around before."

"I'm Olivia. I'm Isabelle's niece." She looks me up and down.

"You look like her. If you didn't have brown hair I would've thought you were her."

"Thanks... I guess."

"You're cool, wanna hang out tomorrow at seven pm?"

"Sure."

"Okay, I'll come by before then. See you later." She waves and jumps over the railing.

I leave the sugar on the counter and return to the movie.  That was the fastest invitation I'd ever gotten.

The door knob turning startles me. I must have fell asleep. What if it's the man? I grab the remote for some form of self defense. The light in the living room flicks on and Isabelle's bright red hair appears.

"I'm back. I ran into Jenna Fenly. That woman never shuts up and always has her head in others people's business. Last person I'd invite to a party." I laugh. I help put the groceries away and take a doughnut she bought home.
"Can I hang out with Charlotte tomorrow night?"

"Yes, but home by eleven."

I nod and head up to bed. The time change messed up my circadian rhythm.
                           •••
Charlotte arrives five minutes till, dressed in a white lace romper, black converse, and her braids in a bun. I feel underdressed based on how pretty she looks.

"We're going to my friends house Alex and Caleb."

I nod. "Just going to be a typical band practice and hang out."