Chapter 3.

A/N: This chapter deals with a more serious and delicate subject, I apologize for this and I tried to have the details not as graphic as usual. It deals with the death of a child, I apologize again for this.

---

"Hello Sir, how may I help you?" The woman at the front desk asked.

"I'm here to pick up my friends' daughter. Her name is Adaline Smith. Her father's' Greg , we're old time friends." I stare at the daycare worker as she thinks for a few seconds.

"Oh, I apologize for not introducing myself, I'm Ryan Jones." I winced as I spoke that old name. I didn't want to use my current name. "Greg and his wife, Anne, are currently stuck in traffic and will not have time to make it since they have a scheduled arrangement they are currently late for. He wanted me to take the little tyke out to the park." I falsely chuckled. She seemed to lose her worry as I added fake details to my lie.

"Okay, I'll go get her." She smiled.

"Thank you Miss." I leaned with my back on the counter with my hands in my pockets, waiting for the brat so I could finish this case off. I turned my head as I heard footsteps coming around the corner. I smiled like I did before.

"Hey Adaline!" I calmly greeted, crouching down to the 4-year-old's height.

"Hi!" She greeted, her innocent trust showing through her as if she wore her heart on her sleeve.

"You remember me? I'm your dad's' friend! Mr. J!" I spoke.

"I think so!" She smiled, going along with whatever I say blindly.

"Well I'm here to pick you up, 'kay?"

"Okay!" She walked towards me as I got up and looked over to the woman working there.

"Thank you Miss. Have a nice day," I paused, "Wave bye to the nice young lady Addy!" I convinced happily.

"Goodbye Miss!" She waved. I put my arm around her shoulder and we walked out, a fake smile plastered on my face. I managed to sweet-talk my way through having to show any ID, or a note saying I could talk her, or even signing a book to take her out of the day care early. I had scanned the office earlier, no cameras. It's only that woman's word if there's any sort of investigation on some shady figure who picked up a 4-year old without correct ID or anything. I opened the passenger car door and she jumped in. I waked to my side, locking the car doors and turning on the car.

"Wanna go get ice cream Addy?" I kept my happy manner.

"Yeah!" She cheered. After a few minutes of driving we arrived to an ice cream shop.

---

"I'll have a small vanilla ice cream in a cone, and what do you want Addy?" I asked, looking down at her. She was barely tall enough to see over the counter.

"Can I have cookie-dough ice cream, Mr. J?" She asked.

"Sure, whatever you like."

"Thank you!" She replied. I looked back up the workers.

"Make that a medium." I finished the order and we left. I know I am about to do something terrible, but might as well let her get some icecream first. I'm not that cruel, but I cannot, and will not let another monster grow up into the world I try to keep safe. I lead her to the car and I drove to Greg's home.

"Hey Sir,"

"Yes?"

"Why do you look so sad?"