Chapter 12 - Let's Make a Deal

I did warn you. I told you exactly what would happen if you kissed him again. 

My mind was just a blank buzzing, filled with white noise. 

"Emily!" Ryan was shaking me, trying to get a response. I could feel tears sliding down my cheeks but made no effort to wipe them away. 

Looking back, I know I must have appeared absolutely insane to him. 

Then, he was there: wearing a black hoody, hands jammed in the pockets, leaning up against the wall behind Ryan while looking right at me. 

You can't say I didn't warn you. 

His lips weren't moving, but I heard his voice anyway. 

"B-But, I didn't-" 

"Emily, talk to me, what's wrong?" Ryan sounded so desperate and scared. I wished I could comfort him, but there was nothing I could say that would make any of this better. He didn't know what was wrong, but I did.

I knew, and that was a problem that wasn't going to be solved with just words. 

You think I don't know what was going to happen next? Last night was a warning, and you decided not to listen to it. 

"I heard shouting; what's wrong?" I know my mom burst into the room just then, I could hear her adding her voice to Ryan's pleas. "Emily! Oh my gosh what happened?" 

"I don't know, her eyes just rolled back into her head and then she just started making this noise, and-"

I told you that you didn't belong to him, and I don't like being ignored. So, I figured that I would have to make sure that I got my point across to you this time. 

"You... You made it happen?" 

"Emily? Who are you talking to? Emily!" 

More like... Now it's going to happen. 

"Ryan, I think you should leave now-"

"No! I'm not leaving until I know that she's okay!" 

After giving me a wink and blowing a kiss my way, Death disappeared. I was shaking, but no sobs were coming out of my throat. Before anyone else could react, and before I could even properly think through what I was doing, I threw myself onto Ryan's lap and wrapped my arms around him as tight as I could. He was surprised at first, but then I felt his arms around me and his hand rubbing my back. 

"Emily?" I looked at my mom, who was tentatively reaching out a hand towards me, seeming like she didn't quite know what to do either. "What happened? Are you alright, sweetie?" 

I shook my head: the only response I could manage in that moment. 

"Was it-" I knew my mom had already figured it out from the way she spoke, but she wisely remembered that Ryan was sitting right there and didn't finish the question. I gave her a quick nod anyway, and she pressed her lips together tightly as she studied my face. 

"I'm sorry, Ryan, but I'm really going to have to ask you to leave now." 

"Only if Emily wants me to leave. Otherwise, I'm not going anywhere." He squeezed me tighter, as if that would make any difference. 

"What Emily needs right now is rest," my mom snapped. "Now, let go of my daughter before I'm forced to call someone." 

"No, Mom," I croaked, clinging to Ryan's shirt sleeves as he tried to pull away from me. He may not have been in a suit like he was in my vision, but I was still terrified that it would come true as soon as he left my sight.