Just Hold Me

Just a warning that the content of this chapter may distrub some readers. It involves *SPOILER* attempted rape, so please read on only if you're comfortable reading about that. 

I stood to the side of the driveway hidden behind a tree while I waited for James. I was wearing jean cut offs and a crop top, the heat still high in the night.

"James," I whispered as I saw a figure approaching.

"Lauren?"

I jumped out and grinned at James. "Hey. Come sit here. So peaceful." I grabbed his hand and pulled him over to a spot just off the driveway, shaded by trees. Nobody would see us out here.

"I have three blends for you." He handed me three thin joints. "Light up. Test."

I lit up one of them and took a deep drag. "Mm. This is strong."

“That’s pure.”

I breathed it in again and blew small circles out before passing it over to James.

“It’s good.” My brain was already getting foggy. “I’ll take that one. I don’t like herbal mixes. I like it pure.”

“Here.” He threw the package over to me. “Enjoy.”

“Thanks,” I grinned lazily.

“Listen… I know I said it was free, but I was hoping you could give me something.”

I smiled, “Yeah. What do you want?”

James leant forward and smirked. “You,” he whispered.

“No,” I said instantly. “No.”

“Come on. I know you want to.” He pressed his lips against mine and I resisted the urge to gag.

“No,” I said, trying to push him off. But I was too clouded. He pushed me against the ground and forcibly kissed me.

“James,” I begged. “No.”

“Shut up. You wanted the weed, and I gave it to you. You owe me.” He slapped my face and told me to shut up again.

He ripped open my crop top and pulled my pants down. He kissed around my bra, occasionally biting my skin, drawing blood.

“James,” I whimpered. “Please…”

And then I screamed. He reached down and started touching me.

Tears stung my eyes and I screamed again as he slapped me.

“Shut up you slut!” He snarled.

“Get off her.” A voice growled behind us. A hand grabbed James’ shirt and he was pulled off and shoved to the ground. My savior punched James in the head, instantly knocking him out.

“Hunter,” I whispered.

He looked over at me and met my eyes.

I wanted to say something, but what do you say in that situation?

His eyes grazed over me, and he quickly looked away. He pulled off his top and threw it over to me.

“Thanks,” I whispered, pulling it over my head carefully. My body was sore and tender from where James had bitten and squeezed.

“Are you ok?”

I shrugged, and started to nod, but then more tears came streaming down my face. “No,” I sobbed.

He instantly dropped to his knees in front of me and reached out. I leant into his warm embrace and let the tears stain his grey shirt.

And somehow I relaxed.

I pulled back and looked him in the eyes. I couldn’t imagine how crazy I looked, with my hair a mess and tears, and smudged makeup.

“Are you ok?” He asked again.

And I found myself nodding. “I am now.”

He pulled me up. “I’ll take you inside.”

I nodded, and took a step but stumbled.

“You can’t walk, can you?” He whispered.

I leaned against him and shook my head.

“I’ll carry you.” He grabbed me under the thigh and lifted me up, holding me against his chest. I rested my head against his shoulder and watched his face.

He looked down at me at one point, and smiled softly, almost sadly.

“I’ll take you in through the back,” he said suddenly, looking up.

“No! Mamar and Pop are asleep near the back of the house. The front is the safer option.”

He nodded stiffly. “Ok.”

He carried me inside and upstairs, and into my bedroom. He laid me down on the bed, and then went to turn away.

“Wait! Will you stay with me for a bit?”

He stuffed his hands into his pocket and sucked on his lip before nodding sharply. He sat on the edge of my bed.

“How did you know this was my room?” I asked him, pulling the blankets up as I sat against the headboard.

“I brought the bags up here earlier.”

“Oh.”

He was quiet for a moment before saying, “What were you doing with him?”

I shook my head. “I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for,” he whispered. He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and smiled sweetly at me.

“You warned me. You told me he was dangerous, and I ignored you.”

“No. Don’t. Don’t blame yourself,” he breathed. He put his face in his hands and sighed. He muttered something to himself.

“Thank you, though. For saving me.”

“What was I going to do? Let him… no. I’m not that guy who let’s people get away with stuff like that.”

“A gallant knight in shining armor.”

He gave me a small smile. “Just a simple guy doing the right thing.”

“Well, you doing the right thing…” I shook my head. “You basically saved my life.”

He stood up. “I should go.”

“No. Please don’t go. Stay with me. I feel safe with you.” I reached out and grabbed his wrist. I looked up at him and saw me looking down at me. “Please.”

He nodded after a moment.

I moved over, making room for him in the bed. I remembered I was still wearing his shirt. I liked that. It felt comfortable -not just the shirt, but the act of wearing his shirt.

He pulled off his shoes and got in the bed, still wearing his jeans.

“You can take off your jeans you know. If you keep them on you’ll just heat up.”

He nodded and pulled them off. He folded them and then set them in a neat pile on the side table.

I glanced over at him and gulped. I wanted him to hold me against him. Not fuck, or even touch or kiss. Just hold me.