Chapter 1

Mya POV

I walk to my house to find another letter from the university in the mailbox.

"Not again" I say to myself.

I walk into the house to see my best friend Tristan on the couch.

"Hay girl, how was class?"

"Ehh, tiring as usual. Plus, I just got another notice from the university telling me that I'm behind in my payments. I don't have $5,000 right now."

"Damn girl. Looks like you have to add another shift to save up."

Tristan is my roommate along with our best friend Callie. We've been best friends since kindergarten and now we're roommates in college.

"Are you going out with your boo James tonight?" I ask.

"Hell yes. I can't stay away from his fine ass for too long. As a matter of fact, he should be here any minute to pick me up."

"Okay, well, you guys have fun. Is Callie coming in tonight?"

"She called and said she was out with a guy on the football team she just met and she said don't wait up for her. You know how that goes."

"You guys are leaving me here lonely" I say acting sad.

"Well, you need some d-" I cut him off.

"Hey, hey now. I am perfectly fine without beef cake in my life."

"No you are not. You need to let go of your frustrations and get laid one good time. Any male on this campus would be lucky to get with a fine chocolate sista like you."

"Yeah, whatever."

We hear a horn honk outside.

"There goes my beef cake. See you later girl." Tristan says as he walks out.

"Here I am, alone, again." I say to myself as I walk to my room and I close the door.

I sit on the edge of my bed and I decide to open the letter.

Ms. Howard,
The university is trying to be patient as we want the best for your education. You are behind $45,000 in tuition. We are willing to set up a payment plan with you. If you can pay $1,500 by the 30th of May, you will not be expelled from this university.

Best,
William State University

How am I going to get this money? Today is April 20th so I have a little more than a month. It is 8:15pm and I have nothing to do.

"Maybe I can shower and see what's on tv."

I go to take a long hot shower and when I come out I change into my pajamas.

I turn on the television but I don't find anything to watch so I decide to lay in bed and listen to music.

Just then, I get a call from my mom.

"Hello?"

"Hey sweetheart, how is everything?"

"Everything is everything. How's dad?"

"Well, you know he has his good days and his bad days. But he's still holding on."

"That's good to hear."

My dad has lupus and the reason I can't afford this school is because we are struggling to pay for his treatments.

"Are Callie and Tristan in?"

"No they went out, I decided to stay in and study."

"Okay honey, that's good to hear. I was just calling to check in."