thirty-four

SUMMER'S POV

     We all got out of the car as Ella playfully cursed the heavy rain. I pulled my Top Shop bag over my hair to protect the new highlights and laughed.

"C'mon, Kennedy!" Rocky whined, hopping on the balls of her feet as Kennedy dug for the house keys in her pocket.

I was about to join in when I saw movement on the porch steps. I turned around and saw a dripping wet Paris aim to stand up. She looked terrible, vibrating like a mental patient. Just as she hit her feet, her right knee buckled and she fell. I screamed and dropped my bag, running over to her.

I dropped to my knees and brushed the hair from my eyes, grabbing Paris's hand and started talking to her; she layed perfectly still, and as I slid her hair away from her face, I almost gagged when I saw the concrete scrape on her right temple. The blood mixed with the rain on the sidewalk and the smell, one I've always hated, invaded my senses.

"You know, I could use some help!" I screamed back at the girls. "Call Zayn!"

I could hear Kennedy arguing with Ella, saying that we needed to stop turning to Zayn - whom she obviously liked - and start calling someone else. Ella told her to shut up in a tone I'd never heard and she instantly stopped. Rocky, with an agitated expression, helped me get Paris inside after she unlocked the door.

Paris still remained ever motionless as we carried her to her room. Rocky huffed as we laid her on her bed, then left without another word. I had to stop myself from turning around and setting her straight, for I had had more than enough of her selfish anger at Paris, but I pulled myself out of it and rushed to the bathroom to wet a washcloth. I held it to her temple, jumping when it elicited a gasp from Paris.

Less than ten minutes later, Zayn was on the other side of the bed checking her pulse, and placing the back of his hand to her forehead. "I'm no expert in any respect, but she seems exhausted. Pulse is fine and she's frozen, absolutely not burning up. Don't think she should sleep in those clothes; might want to fix that. But, other than that, I'd just let her sleep."

I nodded. "Thanks. I thought she had keys- Well, I thought she had a car, too, but I don't know where that went."

"If it doesn't bother you, I'll stay the night in the living room, just so I'll be here in case you need me." He replied, standing up.

I shook my head. "I don't mind at all. I'd prefer it, to be honest."

He nodded. "Goodnight, then." He smiled faintly, shaking his head towards Paris as he backed out of the room.

__

An hour later, I was completely drained. I had my fill of yelling at Kennedy and Rocky, a long conversation with Ella, and more aid to Paris before I was drained and fell asleep at the foot of my bed.

____________

      The next morning, after changing and getting breakfast, I was back in Paris's room with my phone and water bottle in hand. To my surprise, she was sitting up and touching the bandage on her temple. I sat down next to her and handed her the water bottle I had yet to open. She took it with a nod but no noise.

I smiled. "How are you?"

She opened her mouth, but didn't say anything. Instead, all to be heard was the rough exhale of air. She shut her mouth quickly and shook her head. After a few seconds of her looking around the room, she snatched the piece of paper from her bedside table and dug for a pen in the drawer. Clumsily, as her hands still shook slightly, she jot something down and handed the paper to me.