Brothers

"I was always jealous of Keith, even when we were kid. I was athletic, popular, all the things that he wasn't, but still, I was jealous of him. And people were drawn to Keith and I hated him for it.
The day I shot Keith, I was in a dark place. I was convinced that he had tried to kill me. I'd lost you, divorced your mom. My life was spiralling downwards and meanwhile Keith was building a life with my high school sweetheart and the child that I abandoned. Every time I looked at him it felt like a punch in the gut.
Keith wanted to go into the school to save that kid. So I let him go, hoping he'd get shot. Let him be the hero as long as he was a dead hero. And then I thought, why should he be the hero when it could be me? So I followed him in. Jimmy was crying and Keith was telling him "it gets better. That pain in your heart, that voice in your head that tells you there's no way out, it's wrong. It gets better." And I felt like he was talking to me. And in that moment, maybe the most heroic, kindest moment of my big brothers life, I hated him. I hated him more than anyone or anything, because nothing had gotten better. That pain was still in my heart. That voice in my head saying that there was no way out was right. And he was standing there lying to me. And after Jimmy died, I picked up the gun and aimed it at Keith. He looked at me and all I could think of was how everything that had gone wrong in my life was his fault, and it wasn't going to get better until he was gone. Just pull the trigger and it all ends. So I pulled that trigger, and it didn't end. It got worse. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry."

- Dan Scott