Arrival: Chapter One

I walked onto the campgrounds, unknowing of why I was being lead by a bickering couple in the first place. The two were talking about something that had to deal with me being 'claimed' and 'Chiron not being able to get me himself'. Even if I didn't know what the hell was going on, I still followed the two further into the campgrounds. I wanted to know, god dammit.

"I see you've found the new recruit." a masculine, husky voice said behind the three of us, and I was the first to turn around. I was looking up at a half man, half horse creature. A quiver filled with arrows was wrapped around his waist and a bow slung over his shoulder, giving the man an intimidating look. I took a deeper look at his face and looked back at the two who brought me here.

"You're kidding me." I said, and the boy's eyebrows frowned.

"What?" he said, shrugging his shoulders.

"You got my teacher in on this too!?!" I nearly shouted, and the boy nearly fell down in laughter. I turned back at the man and sighed as he chuckled to himself.

"Nice to see you too, Miss Lancaster." Mr. Brunner said, crossing his arms. "I hope you can find yourself at home here, because you'll be staying here for quite some time. Follow me."

Mr. Brunner lead me throughout the campground, telling me that I was a demigod, and explaining that the absence of my mother was because she was a goddess taken right out of Greek mythology. But because no one actually knew who my mother was, I hadn't been claimed yet and I didn't see the reason why.

"It's because some goddesses forget." Mr. Brunner told me, shrugging his shoulders.

"My mother forgot that she was impregnated by a mortal human and gave birth to another living human being?!" I asked, angry that my own mother forgot that I was shot out of her own stomach, despite that she was a deity of Greek mythology. Mr. Brunner nodded like it wasn't a big deal. I groaned and Mr. Brunner stopped in his tracks, looking above my head in disbelief. I tried to get a look at the top of my head, but I couldn't. "What?" I asked, trying to snap Mr. Brunner out of his trance. I finally got him out of it and he grabbed my wrist, taking me to a house with Greek writing sprawled over it. He slammed open the doors and I realized this house hadn't been stepped inside in months.

Spiderwebs and dust covered most of the walls and a large portion of the ceiling, taking up the air around it. I coughed a few times as Mr. Brunner lit a torch and waved it around, lighting every single torch in the building.

"Cabin eight, devoted to the goddess Artemis." he sighed, and I looked up at him. Anger flashed in his eyes and he walked up to the far wall, and banged his fist against it, creating a crack in the wall and a loud bang throughout the camp.

"I knew it!" he shouted, startling me. "You broke your vow, Artemis. You broke it and now you've come back to claim your one and only daughter like it was nothing! She's going to be ridiculed and mocked throughout this camp all because of you! Zeus will be in flames if he ever hears about this."

I took a few steps back as the doors opened, revealing the two who lead me here.

"Chiron what's going on?" the girl asked, and looked at me. Her worried expression transformed into the same one Chiron had when I last looked at him. "Did she- ?" she started, but Chiron interrupted her.

"Artemis claimed Rowan as her own." he sighed, walking back outside. The boy sighed and looked at me with an empathetic expression.

"You're in for some deep crap ahead of you." he said, tapping my shoulder. I was completely oblivious as I followed the group of people outside.

"Chiron what was that?" a tanned, slim boy came up to Mr. Brunner, his white shirt stained with oil and grease. He reminded me of a Latino elf and I laughed to myself at the image in my head of him dressed in a 'Santa's helper' costume.