Red Team: Chapter Two

My dormitory was filled with light for the first time, due to the curtains being pulled back. The natural sunlight gave Percy, Annabeth (the two who brought me to Camp Half Blood in the first place), Frank, Hazel, Jason, Leo, Piper and I enough light to work. We gave the comforters and pillows to the harpies to wash and we cleaned the floors first, then started to work on the cabin itself. It came out pretty well; we lit eternal white lanterns and hung them from the ceiling in the patterns of my favorite constellations, and we had a few of the Demeter children make the blossoms in the flower beds bloom outside the windows. Ivy grew from corners of the cabin because of some idiot of a demigod messed up, but I didn't mind because I kind of liked it.  

"Honestly, Rowan, I think you're pretty lucky to have this cabin to yourself." Piper mused, laying onto one of the beds when we finished, "I have to stay with gossiping girls every day."  

"Feel sorry for me, I have to be with angry, bickering assholes every day." Frank said, and I laughed. He wasn't the Ares/Mars type. Hazel, Jason, and Frank were visiting for a couple days until going back to Camp Jupiter, the Roman equivalent of Camp Half Blood.  

"Community sleepovers would be necessary." Leo and I said in unison, making everyone go completely silent. I looked at Leo and Leo looked at me, our facial expressions making each other bust up into laughter. "Oh my gods." I laughed, shoving my face into my hands in embarrassment. I checked the clock on the back wall and it was 6:20, meaning ten minutes until dinner. "We should change out of our clothing soon..." I suggested, looking down at my dusty T-shirt and now tattered jeans. Everyone else looked down at their clothing and nodded. We split up and I said goodbye to my new friends, turning back to my trunk and getting out a new outfit. I washed my face in the washroom and added a bit of makeup, pulling on my new Camp Half Blood T-shirt as a way of saying 'Hey, I'm new here! Please, bully me because I'm the only daughter of Artemis'. I pulled my extremely messy and unruly hair into two, rushed side braids before I walked out to the mess hall. I sat down with Frank, Hazel, and Leo, looking at Chiron as he made announcements with Dionysus. 

"And guess what!" Dionysus said, drinking his diet Coca-Cola out of a wine glass. "We have a new camper!"  

I sighed as I listened to the drumroll. 

"Rowan Lancaster, daughter of-" Dionysus paused and checked with Chiron if he was reading my mother's name correctly. "Daughter of Artemis!" he said with confusion, and I stood up for a split second, waving hello and sitting back down as everyone booed or gasped.  

"Let the ridicules begin." I groaned, taking a drink of my water and turning to the three, waving my hand as everyone gossiped. Spirits and wisps carried plates of food out to the table and we dished up, eating with a few spurts of small talk. 

"So Rowan, where are you from?" Frank asked, and I popped up from eating some of the pasta salad and swallowed my food before standing up.  

"I'll be back in a second." I said, avoiding Frank's question. I walked into my cabin and sat down on my bed, running my hands through my hair. I hated talking about anything that dealt with my past. When I got here in the first place I was excited to leave my past story and make a new one, and that's what I was going to do, if it kills me or not. 

I laid down on my bed, sighing as I glanced at the astronomical ceiling, smiling up at the lanterns. I remembered my nearing birthday when I stared at the matching constellation. Running my hand through my messy hair, I listened to the laughter of all of the campers. I sighed again. I didn't like being with a new crowd, let alone try to get along with each and every member of it. 

"Enjoying being alone, huh?" Leo asked as he sneaked into my cabin, his laced up Converse hitting the floor in a rhythmic beat. I sat up and nodded, watching as Leo walked closer to my bed. He sat down and looked at me with a weird look.