The Arena Challenge: Chapter Four

I woke up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, slamming the palm of my hand on my alarm clock. It was my thirty seventh day at Camp Half Blood. Instead of staying in my cabin like it was a hotel I started to live in it like I owned it. I grew closer with everyone, especially Leo and Nico, and Clarisse's hate for me grew as mine did the same for her. I rolled out of my bed and walked into the bathroom, turning on the water as my half awake mind filed through my routine. I dropped my clothing and let the hot water softly beat my bare back, the water washing against my face waking me up. I hobbled out of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around my body and my long hair draped over my shoulders. I quickly got dressed and dried my hair, looking at myself in the mirror. I looked decent.

Kind of.

I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and grabbed my fingerless archery gloves, knowing I'd be needing them for the whole day today. I laced my combat boots up and walked out of my cabin, grabbing my bow and quiver. I hopped down the steps, wrapping my quiver strap around my waist. I decided to skip breakfast and go straight to my archery class.

"Miss Lancaster, have you eaten yet?" Chiron asked me as he set up the targets. I shook my head and said I wasn't hungry. "Well I'll get the arena ready for you."

Oh yeah.

Today's my turn for the arena.

I followed Chiron to the arena and we both walked in silence through the halls. As I passed the different monsters that were kept in cages for challenges, I grew both worried and excited for my challenge today. I knew more than half of the camp was going to crowd into the arena to watch me fight, but I didn't realize it until everyone actually came.

They chanted my name countless times. Some booed and told me to die fighting, but I ignored them as I strapped on the thin armor that Chiron handed me. He told me that as the challenge's time passed, the monsters would be harder to kill, but that he believed that I would get out of the arena untouched. I tightened my ponytail and walked out into the arena, making eye to eye contact with the row of people I'd learn to call family. Piper, Jason, Hazel, Nico, Percy, Annabeth, Leo, and Frank all clapped and shouted my name as I waved to them shyly. Chiron saluted my presence and walked into the arena hallways. The bell rang, indicating that my challenge had started. I tightened my quiver strap and took an arrow out, pulling it back on my bow. I waited for the monster to come out in front of me, but instead I heard the roar behind me. I looked back and dodged the monster's hit, releasing my hand and sending the arrow right in the monster's left eye. It stumbled and fell, turning into gold dust soon afterwards. I heard a loud shriek of a bird above me, and a Stymphalian bird swooped down in an attack. I pulled back my bow and shot it's vulnerable chest, making it fall to the ground and turn to gold dust. Two monsters were sent out after that, one taking my bow and throwing it to the ground in an instant. I heard Leo's voice go up an octave as I looked at the bow, nearly torn to shreds. I took my (rarely used) sword and listened to Hazel shout at me that I would do a good job with it. I took a deep breath and started counting the steps and swings I took, remembering the things Hazel taught me. I managed to kill the two monsters and the rest of the group with my sword, beheading a few. The shouts and applause of the crowd gave me strength to fight more, and when I was done, I felt a strange connection with the sword that I used more than my bow. When Chiron came out into the arena and held up my hand in victory, all I could think of was fixing my bow. When he let go of my hand I ran to my bow and watched Leo run out from the crowd. I sprinted to the forge, where Leo was already getting ready.

"I didn't know it was going to get beat up this bad." I sighed, tapping my foot in worry.

"It'll be fixed in no time." Leo promised me, and I took a deep breath. I needed to calm down. "And you did a great job in the arena. You're better with a sword than you think."