Chapter one

The moon was waning crescent. The streets of Washington were calm and clear. It was silence that roamed the place. Dogs weren't barking as always. Charles Winters was sitting near the fire. He was a tall guy with brown wide eyes and dark hair, also he had a white skin. He was thinking about getting married. He loved Linda, but she didn't feel the same way towards him.

     After few days later, he was in his office with his assistant Tracey Pierce. She was a little bit short with curly brown hair and green eyes.

" Charles you seem really annoyed, is there anything you want to say to me?"

"Ohh Tracey! You know we're investigators so it isn't easy to feel relaxed all the time."

It wasn't really the thing which made him that dispersed. Marriage is like a promise between the partners to be together forever, sharing the love and happiness. He didn't want to marry anyone except Linda. He finished work and returned back home. After taking his shower, the doorbell rang. Unexpectedly, she was Linda!

"He..hello Lin Lindaa!" He stammered from happiness.

" Hi Charles! Can I enter?" She smiled.

"Ohh of course! I'm sorry, come on in, enter!" He was so happy to see her.

" What do you want to drink? Coffee , tea, wine?" He asked in excitement.

" Uhmm.. Ok I want coffee"

" It'll be prepared immediately!"

    He hurried to the kitchen and poured the coffee for her and himself. Then, he went outside and sat beside her. He felt that warm feeling inside him, he was smiling when she smiled, he tried to make her laugh as much as possible. He was so friendly.

" I didn't know that you were joyful that much!" She looked into his eyes smilingly.

" Well I'm not that happy with everyone" he said calmly.

" After my parents death I was so lonely and isolated, but I worked and started communicating with people. It is the first to smile and laugh like that!" He added and looked so sad.

" Oh I'm sorry! I didn't know" she held his hands and hugged him.

He was surprised and felt like he was flying over the moon. Tracey was going to ring the bell, but she saw them through the window hugging.

"Oh, I knew he loved her and never loved me! I loved him and was always by his side, but he never noticed" and left sadly.

She returned back to her home burst into tears. Back to Charles home, Linda told him to stay happy as much as he can, but he said that he'll be happy if only she's happy. She didn't quite understand, but she took it as a compliment.

"Well I have to leave now."

"STAY! Ehmm... I..I mean stay a little!" He said sadly.

"I am so sorry, but we can meet up another day"

"Oh ok.." He said happily.

"Bye!"

"Bye! See you soon."

   She went and he was jumping from happiness. He felt relaxed for the first time in his whole life. He was singing and dancing.

          The next day, he walked to his work in joy. He entered his office with a smile. Tracey noticed everything and how he has completely changed. She was angry and mad especially at him.

"Tracey can you give me the sheets of yesterday's case?"

She threw the wrong ones on his desk.

"Tracey what's wrong?"

"NOTHING OKAY!"

He kept silent for a moment.

"But these are the wrong ones."

"What do you mean? Huh!! Okay then!"

  She took all the papers and threw them to him.

"TRACEY HAVE YOU COMPLETELY LOST YOUR MIND?"

"YES BECAUSE I LOVED YOU, BUT INSTEAD YOU LOVED LINDA!"

"Wait... Wait I can't understand anything!"

"I have been here for you, I was always by your side.. I loved you!"

     He was completely shocked. He picked up his jacket and went outside the office. He felt guilty for what happened. He entered the house, pushed the door hardly after his entrance. He sat down and started to think. Everything wasn't clear to him. He started thinking if Linda really loved him. He preferred to stay with Linda because he couldn't imagine his life without her. He considered Tracey as a best friend and a partner, but never as a lover or a girlfriend.

     His biggest fear was falling in love or even being loved. He didn't want to face its consequences. He knew it was wrong from the first place to love Linda, but he didn't blame himself, he blamed his heart. He blamed that warm feeling when he looks into her shiny blue eyes and when she hugged him for the first time. He couldn't sleep that night because of the overthinking. He didn't know how to face Tracey the other day.

       The next day, he went to his work and entered his office. He found Tracey working, but when she saw him, she ran towards him.

"Charles about yesterday..I"

"Look Tracey I see you as a best friend and a partner, that's it.. I am sorry."

"Charles look I just wanted to say that I was drunk and I didn't mean any word I've said." She was broken from inside.

"So can we stay friends?"

"Charles of course!"

They shook hands and started working. She gave him the sheets he wanted the day before. Tracey wasn't drunk and she meant everything, but she also didn't want to lose him as a friend so she made this up.

-------

All Rights Reserved ©
2017

3,231 words