Playground

Hey guys I'm back! Sorry it took me so long, but I had some school stuff to deal with and some personal stuff and ugh anyways I have a "Philinda-grew-up-together"-Au here for you.

Age 8

Julie and James Coulson sat on the bench of the playground, hands intertwined. James put his arm around Julie and closed his eyes as he let the already warm spring sun shine on his face. "Might be my last spring here" he said silently to his wife, voice a bit raspy. James had cancer, and the doctors had given him a year, maybe one and a half.

"Don't say that" Julie responded and squeezed his hand. "Phil needs you." They both looked at their son climbing a climbing frame, laughing with his friends. He now reached the top and proudly waved to their direction. They smiled and waved back at their son.

"Who's supposed to tell him Captain-America stories?" Julie continued, eyes now watering. "Let's just enjoy the today, honey. Worrying means you suffer twice" James told her and stroke the back of her hand.

Phil now ran over to them, panting, face a little flushed. "Did you see that?" he asked proudly, then noticed that something was wrong. "Dad are you alright?" he asked immediately, worried about his father. James smiled at his son "It's all fine, I promise. You're mom's just been worrying a bit. I saw how you climbed, Philly. Where'd you get those muscles from?" he asked playfully.

"Probably from working on that red Corvette with you" Phil responded proudly. "Lola" James corrected. Julie finally could smile. "Yeah... but mom, there's something I'd like to ask you." "Sure sweetie, what's it?" "There's this girl at the swings" Phil explained, pointing at a girl with dark hair swinging all alone "and I don't want her to be alone. She seems sad. But I don't want to scare her or something. What should I do?"

Julie's smile deepened. "Just be yourself sweetie. That always works best." Phil nodded, now a bit more confident.

The girl sat on the swings, swinging lazily, gaze somewhere lost in the depths of the sky. Phil, who had left his friends at the climbing frame, came over to her and cleared his throat. "Uhm hi." The girl looked at him, she had beautiful dark eyes. "Hi" she responded, seeming to be surprised that someone talked to her.

Phil blushed a little, then took a still wrapped bonbon out of his pocket. "Do you want that? I don't like the flavour." The girl stood up and glanced at him. "Why would you give me your sweets?" "As I said, I don't like the flavour" Phil repeated. "But why ask me? You seem to have friends over there!"

Phil shrugged his shoulders. "They've had enough. Besides you're all alone, and I didn't want you to be alone, and so I came over here. And offering sweets is nice right? I wanted to be nice." Finally the girl smiled. "That really was nice of you." She took the bonbon, unwrapped it and put it in her mouth. Phil smiled at her and offered his hand. "I'm Phil, by the way!" She took his hand and shook it. "Melinda."

Phil sat down on the swings next to her. She sat down again too and they swung a little. "Why were you all alone?" "I'm new here. I don't know many people, my parents split up you know" Melinda explained. Phil looked at her, a bit shocked. "That must be hard." "It's okay" she said and tried to smile.

"You know what my mom always says? You don't have to say 'It's okay' when it's not. Cause otherwise people can't comfort you" Phil said silently. Melinda looked at him, slightly impressed.

Age 9

Melinda waited for her best friend at the playground, they had arranged themselves to meet here at 3pm and now it already was 3.30 pm. Phil never was late, and she began getting concerned, when he suddenly appeared on the entrance. He was running, and didn't stop until he fell into her arms.