Chapter Seven

Beyond the safe boundaries of the bay, past the intense game of chess happening between Zeus and his brother Poseidon which was resulting in a storm so fierce the waves rose six feet into the air and lightening killed the unfortunately fish who has happened to peek above the crest of the waves to watch, a figure stood on the shores of one of the other Bermuda Islands. He faced the direction of Paradise Island with unnerving accuracy; almost as if he knew the island existed. But such a feat should have been impossible. The island was shielded by the gods themselves. It was their last retreat in a world that grew more and more alien to them and which they had begun to give over to the newer gods of this modern world. So it was quite the peculiar sight to see a man staring into the distance at the exact location of Paradise Island. So peculiar it drew the attention of several figures still loyal to the ways of old.

One of those creatures was a sweet little tree nymph who cared for most of the trees on the island. Her parents had brought her up on Paradise Island itself, but she left for the surrounding islands when she was old enough. Whilst the Amazonians had managed to take in a large number of the old Grecian creatures, many more had had to settle for living on the outreach islands. They still nestled in the safety of the Gods, but they were not invisible to humans. It was only the fact the Gods continued to play their games around the Bermuda Triangle that kept the mortals technology away and their curiosity leashed.

It was yet another reason why seeing a man on the island was such a strange sight. The nymph watched him curiously from behind, peering round the edge of one of the thick fern trees which had stubbornly grown along the ragged clifftop on the western side of this island. All she could make out against the brilliant light from the storm was the shocking red of his hair.

"Spying on people is still considered rude," the suddenness of speech against the quiet of the storm made the small nymph jump. And immediately feel guilty. It was part of a nymphs nature to be welcoming, especially when she practically owned the island. Cautiously stepping out from behind the safety of the tree she rocked onto the balls of her feet and back onto her heels.

"Welcome, stranger. Are you lost?" She had not seen any signs of a ship wreck, but it had occasionally been the reason men had appeared on her shores. The man turned at the moment another bolt of lightning hit the waves. It light up the side of his handsome face but it gave his smile an ugly edge.

"Not lost, no, but this is not my intended destination," he turned his attention back to the horizon. The nymph waited patiently to see if he would speak again, but after another minute of silence lapsed she piped up.

"And where is it you intend to go?"

"Why, to Paradise of course."