One In a Million - Chapter One

A/N Words in italics are thoughts

Just one more hour. Just one more until I'm free. Lucy slumped down in her seat. She hated school. Especially English. Everything seemed pointless, why would she ever need to remember how to analyse some awful book written two hundred years ago. She knew exactly what she wanted to do when she was older. She wanted to perform. Lucy wanted to be on the stage in front of millions of people, all screaming her name, while she did what she was born to do - sing. She wanted all the dazzling lights, she wanted that feeling of euphoria, the overwhelming joy, the adrenaline pumping through her veins. But, this was just a dream, only a dream. The only time she would ever get that feeling was while she was fast asleep, blocking out the crushing reality that she would never feel complete.

Only when she got home and shut the door behind her, did Lucy feel free. At school, she was a nobody, just another loser, invisible to everyone. She had "friends" but they just felt sorry for her. They didn't talk to her, or invite her out anywhere. They just talk through her and pretend she doesn't exist. Lucy wasn't particularly bad at schoolwork, she just didn't want to be there. Nobody knew that all she wanted was to sing.

The only place she didn't hide was the internet. She could be herself - behind a mask of course. She didn't have to pretend to blend in. She could obsess over her favourite musicians or TV shows with other people who felt exactly the same, people who wouldn't turn their nose up at her screaming with glee over the smallest thing. Contrary to what everyone believes - the internet is the only place where Lucy felt safe.