Chapter 4 - A Yan Zhaoge Who Does Not Follow the Script

The old and white haired elder Cui maintained his kind and benign act, all smiles while looking towards Ye Jing. Almost as if he did not realize at all the impact his words had on his audience.

Yan Zhaoge watched elder Cui, and then looked towards Ye Jing. Suddenly, he found this entire situation laughable.

The ordained son of heaven when faced against an opponent that the current him stood no chance against would often received the passive or active backing of certain forces. These forces would become his protection providing time and opportunities for growth, at least until that ordained son of heaven charged out of beginner village.

'Enemy of your enemy is your friend.' These people were usually those who stood opposite to the villainous canon fodder.

Once the ordained son of heaven completes his growth, these forces could just sit and watch as he starts a massacre of epic proportions. As allies, they will naturally benefit a hundred fold in return.

Normally, these people would be known as... the hero faction?

"He truly performs with the air of an well rehearsed actor. This is a perfect implementation of the scripted scenario."

Yan Zhaoge sized up elder Cui and Ye Jing. He did not hide his action nor was he polite about it.

Elder Cui did not miss this, but rather than becoming angry, he was secretly delighted.

"As rumored, those who are domineering and ostentatious will seek to avenge every slight," the white bearded old man smiled without any indication of his true thoughts, "Having lost face in front of these people. Even though there are only sixteen here but the news will spread quickly, one to ten, ten to a hundred. Now that the thorn has been planted, this child won't be able to take this slight lying down. Whether he explodes here or endures until the Dragon Sealing Abyss. Both outcomes are acceptable."

Yan Zhaoge watched elder Cui, and then looked towards Ye Jing again. Deep inside, he was laughing derisively.

"First I express my disdain. Next Ye Jing expresses his unyielding spirit. Then I become angry because I lost face when he contradicted me. Finally I send my thugs in the form of servants or juniors to teach him a lesson, only for them to be beaten so badly that they end up searching for their teeth all over the floor. In this situation, unless the opponent commits an obvious offense, otherwise even if I act openly, I can only exchange pointers or compare skills."

So long as someone of lower cultivation does not issue a challenge, on the whole using your cultivation to suppress someone will earn a reputation of bullying the weak.

And it just so happens, the ordained son of heaven possesses the main character aura, which grants the innate divine skill to bypass rank when slaughtering villains and be unrivaled against opponents of the same rank.

Sending a single small fry does not work. Sending a mob is also ineffective for the most part. On the contrary, there's even a possibility of them turning into large amounts of experience points, increasing Ye Jing's growth rate.

"Maybe, if he keeps fighting, he'll even level up on the spot?"

This was a very valid possibility.

"At that time, because my thugs have been beaten black and blue, I'll fly into a fit of rage. Without caring whether I'm bullying the weak, I'll try to teach this Ye Jing a lesson. Even though Ye Jing is currently much weaker than me, but his unyielding staunchness will allow him to withstand several exchanges letting him to show off his brilliance.
"Perhaps, he'll even use his magical plot device to make me suffer a small defeat.
"And when I finally get serious and decide to beat him half dead, this elder Cui or another character will speak up and overturn the situation. As for me, I would spout some cliché lines, 'tiny scum, consider this your lucky day' or something like that. And like that, wouldn't today's performance would come to an end?
"Even if I win this fight, there's no glory to be had. Most people would think I'm using my strength to bully the weak. Wouldn't their sympathies would go to Ye Jing instead?"