1.Fixing Things Broken

I closed the attic door. Careful not to wake Minnie. Her nosey ass was always trying to get me caught. But I was more scared of waking DJ up. Last time he caught me, he put me in a choke hold and wouldn't let me out till I promised I wouldn't sneak out with Sky again.

I grabbed some shorts, slipped them on and got under the covers.  Then I heard the most dreadful noise. DJ had got out of bed, on his way to my room. I slowly rose from the bed. Making my way to my bathroom. I flushed the toilet. No later did I open the door. DJ had already made himself comfortable on my bed. He had this devilish grin, like he knew whatever I was going to say was a lie.

"What are you doin?"

His words were kind of slurred together.

"Minding my damn business, what bout you?

I was scared that he was going to snitch or worse, hurt me. He opened mouth again to speak.

"Ok, but Ima tell you one last time rat. If you leave this damn house with Sky again Ima knock them blue eyes right the fuck out yo head!"

I knew DJ meant well. He didn't really care for Sky that much. I sat on the bed next to him. He turned and kissed my forehead.

"So tell me rat, why'd you trip on dad yesterday?" 

I was waiting for DJ to bring that up. He was dad's message man. I went off on my dad because he was telling me I Needed to stop actin nasty towards Minnie.

"I didn't mean to. Yall think I don't like her, but I do. She's my twin. How can I not like her."

DJ just nodded " I talked to him afterwards,  I could see the hurt in his eyes."

After hearing what DJ said all I wanted to do was cry. I leaned into his shoulder and breathed deeply.

"Mickey, you better start treating those two with love and respect."

I rolled my eyes at his comment. He grabbed my chin forcing me to look at him.

"I mean it Mick, stop before you piss me off."

He kissed my forhead again, and left the room.I dont know why but DJ was more than just a brother to me sometimes.

I think DJ was the main reason why thing haven't blown up. I grabbed my teddy bear and walked to Minnies room. Quietly I knocked on her door. Hearing her pushing stuff off her bed, making room for me. I walked in. Even though I was the older one, I would sometimes act childish. When we were younger, I would sleep with her. So I followed the same routine. She flipped over the covers.

"What do I owe this occasion?"

My mouth opened slowly.

"I know that I treat you like shit, but Minnie I love you. I just have a sick and twisted way of showing it. I'm going to make it up to you I promise."

Minnie sniffled and combes her fingers through my hair. We snuggled up close, said a little prayer, and drifted off to sleep.