Vices and Virtues Chapter 5

Zanes POV

The Bell rang signifying the end of class, well the end of the day. I zipped out of the choir room doors faster than you could imagine. After what I had just witnessed, I had absolutely no doubt that this was going to be a hell of a debate with Alec. He already had some sort of unspoken dislike of Kythan. Ignoring the constant vibrations coming from my phone, I opened my locker gathered my things and went to find Alec. As I turned the corner I was ambushed by an excited and impatient Alec.

"Why is it every time you tell me good news you never answer my texts you tease?" Still catching my breathe, I retrieved my phone from my pocket

"Damn! Calm down dude!" I smiled "Give a guy a sec." Alec just laughed as we made our way towards the parking lot. Everyone gathered by the back exit after school, people catching up on each others summers and all that nonsense. Sadly enough I could pick out all of my friends standing by the doors so I knew that me and Alec were going to be at least another 20 minutes. We found ourselves being approached by Zoey, Kelsey and Krista as always.

"So whats this I hear about stalking?" Krista announced with a smug look addressed at me. Oh come on. Kelsey took a free shot at Krista's shoulder.

"Ouch!" Krista whined as she rubbed her arm in the spot Kelsey had just socked her.

"Really Kelsey..? Really?!" I stared at Kelsey, which resulted in an apologetic look and a barely audible "Sorry". I don't like to stay mad at my friends, life is too short. After a couple of lame jokes and random stories I noticed Kythan out of the corner of my eyes. His backpack was tossed over his shoulder and he was walking like he didn't give a damn about anything. I felt an unwelcome flutter in my stomach. I clenched my stomach with my hand and muttered a quick "fuck". Zoey, who must have noticed, cracked a suspicious grin and chuckled to herself. Just as he was about to pass our little pow wow, he stopped and spoke.

"Hey Kelsey, do you work tonight?" Kelsey took out her phone and then nodded at him.

"Yeah, four to nine. You?"

"Five to ten." He said with a sigh. "I'm soooo excited!" He announced with a extremely sarcastic overtone as he waved his fist around in front of himself. I laughed out loud and received strange looks from everyone. Apparently I'm the only one who thought it was funny. Again, Zoey was laughing at me. She's going to be the death of me.

"Hey Zane, what's up?" I turned my head towards the voice and was suddenly immobilized. His eyes, wide and bright, glistened in the afternoon sun were staring right through me. Damnit what's the point of making rules like "don't look into his eyes" If I'm just going to do it every time?! Quickly regaining my senses I spoke.

"The ceiling, but its really nothing special, so lets just talk about it some other time? I have to go though, See you at my place around four right Alec?" I knew I was being kinda rude but I panicked. I could've done something I would have regretted.

"Yeah dude sounds good." Alec replied. I felt like an idiot as I walked out of the school. What if I just ruined the only chance I had to get him to be our singer? As I reached my car, I opened the door and tossed my bag into the passenger seat when I heard someone running. I turned my head to see Zoey in all her glory running at me. Her Large sequined Hello Kitty purse flailing in the fall air. She finally made it to my car panting like she had just run a mile through the jungle.

"Hey! I forgot to tell you I'm having a party Friday night, so you had better be there!" She announced as she huffed and wheezed.

"Summer leave you a little out of shape there?" I mocked her.

"Very funny, dick. And don't think you're fooling me, I know you like Kythan. Admit it!" I instantly felt hot and lightheaded.

"Whaa? I have no idea what you talking about." I lied through my teeth. She raised one eyebrow and we both just stood there, eye's connected as we stared each other down. I suddenly jumped into my car, scrambling to lock the door and start it. Zoey attempted to open the door but my reflexes were faster and I locked it. She banged on my window as I started to drive away. I smiled, pleased that I had escaped Zoey's wrath. Exhaling deeply, I finally pulled into my drive way. Exiting my car I made my way along the pathway to the red front door and inside the threshold of my house. I tossed my bag onto the floor and threw myself onto the old beige couch id had all of my life. Why does he make me feel that way? I cant even think about the way he smiles without having one of my own spread across my face. His voice was still ringing in my ears, pulling gently on my heart strings I wondered how he would act if I were to ask him if he would like to be our vocalist. Just then, I heard the front door open and I didn't even need to look to know that it was Alec ready to work on some of our music.