PROLOGUE

Kellen smiled as his brother entered the clearing. "You've grown, Daniel," he said quietly, yet his voice still echoed through the forest. It was a voice of power, something that ran in the family. He didn't turn to face Daniel; didn't want to see how much his little brother had grown. The strength emanating from him told Kellen enough.

"I can say the same for you," Daniel responded, the power in his voice equivalent to Kellen's.

Daniel had grown a lot over the years. His dark hair was now almost pitch black, his eyes similar in darkness, and his body had hit an impressive growth spurt.

The two brothers looked nothing alike. While Daniel was all shadows and mystery, Kellen was blond and gorgeous.

"Why did you return?"

"What, I'm not allowed to visit my hometown now? Everyone needs to return home eventually, brother," Daniel said. He hadn't just grown physically, but his personality really changed, as well. Kellen could hear the smirk in Daniel's voice. The baby brother he remembered was all smiles and playfulness.

"When exactly does this visit end?"

Daniel shrugged. "It ends when I want it to end. I assume you're not excited to see me."

"I'm just surprised, is all."

"Huh. And I thought you were never taken by surprise. Guess the tables are turning sooner than we both expected, am I right?"

There was no need for a response. Because Daniel was right. Kellen did not want to admit that his brother might have become the stronger one. He didn't want to seem weaker compared to Daniel. The oldest was supposed to be the strongest.

Without another word, Daniel was gone. He had gotten the reaction he wanted. He surprised his brother. And he knew he was capable of doing it again.

Kellen sped off into the night. He didn't stop running until he reached the mansion. "Veronica!" He called up the stairs. A woman appeared in the foyer within seconds. She was strikingly beautiful, just like everyone else of their kind.

"Don't bust a vein, darling. It's unattractive."

"Not now," he huffed. 'he's back. Daniel's back in town."

Veronica's eyes almost flew out of their sockets. Daniel. The boy she and Kellen had attempted to kill years ago. From the agitated look on Kellen's face, Veronica knew that little boy had grown and reached his full potential. "Why?" Was all she could manage to say.

"He didn't give an exact reason. But, my guess is that he wants revenge."

She blinked once. "Because we tried to murder him."

"We didn't succeed, and now he has come to haunt us. You did not have the guts to drive that knife into his heart, and now he wants to drive a few through ours! This is exactly what the prophet warned us about," Kellen's voice had reached a higher octave, and was on the verge of pure anger. "He's back, and he won't leave until he gets what he's come for."