Chapter 4. Voices

After they had paid they went out, back to home. They were by bike, and Suzy was glad by that, because now she could burn the kilocalories away. ‘Stop with those thoughts!’ she said to herself. ‘Why? If you are too fat, you better do something against it, right?’ Suzy sighed. ‘Yes, maybe…’ Her mum looked at her, just as she did before. “What’s wrong with you, Suzy?” she asked. “Nothing,” Suzy said, as before. “Why do you think there’s something wrong?”

“Because you are looking weird out of your eyes all time,” her mother answered. Suzy was a bit frustrated. How could her mother know what she was thinking by just looking at her eyes? “What are you thinking about, Suzy?” her mother asked. Suzy sighed. “Nothing, like I just said twice!” Her mother shook her head. “Don’t lie to me, girl. Don’t lie.” Suzy looked to the other way. But when she turned her head back, she saw her mother still looking at her. “Watch out,” she warned her mum. “Better look forward, otherwise you may not reach home.” Now it was Kelly who sighed. She turned her head so didn’t look at Suzy anymore. The voices in Suzy’s head started again talking. ‘Why do you lie to yourself, and to your mother?’ one voice asked. ‘Why do you listen to her?’ another voice said. ‘She’s bad for you, stop listening, Suzy.’ Suzy moved her head fast from left to right and back. Like she would have shook out the different voices. She wasn’t thinking about the way she was cycling. Her mother screamed to her. “Why are you going that fast?!” Suzy turned her had as if she was woken up suddenly. She was far before her mother. “Sorry…” she mumbled. Her mum went by and looked at Suzy. “Suzy,” she said. “Look at me.” Suzy turned her head to her mother. Her eyes stood sad. “If there is something, I want you to tell. Did you hear me?” Suzy nodded slowly. “Yes,” she whispered. “Please, Suzy…” Her mother also looked sad out of her eyes. Both were thinking. Suzy thought about what she needed to do: did she need to tell her mother of the voices? No, it would sound silly, she thought. Kelly was thinking about what she needed to do: what did she need to do with her daughter? Why wouldn’t Suzy talk to her? What was wrong? She didn’t know what to do. She could bring Suzy to a psychologist. But would it help her? What if there really wasn’t anything wrong? They both sighed at the same moment. Than they looked at each other. Kelly smiled a bit, desperate.  Suzy looked like if she was looking straight through her mother. She didn’t seem to hear or see a thing.

When they came home it was already dark. Kelly put her bicycle to the side and expected Suzy to do the same. But she didn’t saw Suzy anymore. How could this happen? She saw Suzy just a view seconds ago! She looked around her but couldn’t find her daughter. “Suzy!” she said. “Where are you?” She walked back and then saw her daughter. She screamed, but without noise. She had put her hands for her mouth. Suzy lay, on the ground, with her bicycle near her. What had happened? Kelly ran to her daughter and tried to get Suzy woken up. Slowly Suzy opened her eyes. She looked strange out of her eyes. She heard her mother talking to her, but couldn’t hear what she was saying exactly. She wanted to sit up, but couldn’t move at all. Only her eyes could open and close. It went dark again.

Some later Suzy opened her eyes again. Her mother was still looking at her, or again. Suzy didn’t know. “Where am I?” Suzy wanted to ask, but she couldn’t move her lips. She tried to sit up again but it didn’t work. She sighed. That did go. Slowly, bit for bit, she felt herself back. First her arms, her legs and at last her head. Kelly stroke Suzy over her hair. “What has happened?” Suzy heard Kelly asking. “I don’t know…” Suzy replied. Slowly memories came back to her mind. “I wanted to step of my bike…” She was tired, Kelly heard because of her voice. “But it didn’t go. I fell of my bike… I didn’t feel my legs and arms anymore…The bike must have fell on the ground, just as me.” Kelly hadn’t stop stroking until now. “You must have passed out,” Kelly said. “How did that happen?” Suzy did know the answer, but she couldn’t tell. But she also didn’t want to lie. She had eaten to less, she knew. She wanted her mother to know what she was thinking, because then she didn’t had to tell her. Suddenly she heard the voice she had heard before, in class. The ghost! “Just tell her, Suzy. She can really help you.” Suzy shook her head, but not in real. In her head. She hoped the ghost would see. “No, I can’t,” she said. “I just can’t. And she won’t understand!” She heard the ghost laughing. “Of course she will! What are you thinking, little girl? Don’t be that negative!”

“I thought you knew what I was thinking,” Suzy said. “Who are you actually? You never told me!” It was silent. Did the ghost went away again? No, there it was again. “I am… Your father.” Suzy shocked. “What?!” She started to cry. She couldn’t keep this for herself. Still she has closed her eyes, she started to talk. To whoever was standing out there. In this case, her mum. Kelly listened. Suzy talked about the ghost, her father. But she didn’t talk about the voices, and the reason why she had passed out…