Thoughts at Sea, Fae Confronts her Fears... Kinda

With Nami in control of our ship, it started to feel like I was part of an actual crew. The woman was scary, and knew what she was doing. The combination of both these factors, resulted in us having a sense of direction on the sea, and the efficiency to get to the next island without starving. I seriously shudder to think what are crew would have been without her around. Nami was probably the most valuable member of the crew in canon, and it was strangely reassuring that the fact remained true in "Fae screwed with the timeline world"(catchy name, I know).

Meanwhile my attempt at stitching Luffy's hat had ended with many bandaged fingers, and a very bruised self esteem. It was way harder then sewing normal clothes, also wasn't really sure how straw worked as string, so I ended up asking Nami for help. She did it without charging me(Thank Goodness), although it was creepy listening to her mumble darkly about debts to pirates, crazy monster men, and psychic women, as she stitched.

Despite her greedy nature, I actually quite liked Nami. She was tough, fun to talk to, and smart. I missed talking with a girl, and we both sort of clicked together out of necessity of living with two men. We talked about our interests, and complained about living on a tiny boat.

Don't get me wrong I liked Luffy and Zoro and definitely classified them as friends, but the two were not the most normal people in the world. Nami on the other hand was far more similar to the humans from my world, something a girl who still believed in physics appreciated. She reminded me in many ways of Minerva: both were confident in their looks and outspoken, but Nami tended to be far more violent than my blonde friend.

We spent some time on an island with strange mismatched animals and a man who fell into a treasure chest. I vaguely remembered it being a filler in the anime which helped confirm my theory that the course of this world's future was going to follow the anime path, which was a good thing cause I'd never really gotten into the manga.

I spent a lot of time running and hiding with Nami on that island since there wasn't any major dangers to watch out for, and I was still limp noodle weak compared to my crew. I had no clue on how to use my Tessen fan, quickly discovering that adrenaline and wielding them like blunt sticks only got one so far.

Later when we boarded the boat again Nami asked me about my psychic abilities. I had invented some basic limits after noticing that Zoro was subtly (and Luffy not so subtly) were listening in. I told her I knew certain fragments of the future (knowing all of the future might have been a little scary to her and my memory especially of early arcs was fuzzy at best) and certain people's histories.

After her questioning I steered the topic to navigation, and when I asked to learn the basics, she'd become ecstatic. I knew Nami was a great Navigator, but now that I knew her as more than just a character on a screen you could really see how much she loved the topic. It kind of went over my head though, and it was somehow reassuring and discouraging at the same time to discover that I really was a city girl. Living half an hour away from DC didn't really require sailing knowledge of any kind.

It was way harder than I imagined, there are two different interpretations of north for heaven's sake, and then you had to take depth into account, learn how to read maritime navigational charts, learn ocean currents and wind direction. By the end of our brief lesson my brain felt like it had been washed, wrung out, and hung to dry.

"Ughhh. I can't!" I groaned after hearing about how different lines indicated different depths, and lied down with a thump on the wooden planks of the small boat.

"Don't be like that, these skills are all essential."

Nami frowned casting a shadow over me with her body, the blocked light from the sun pouring around her figure gave it a very cliche glowing girl look.