Chapter Three - Memories

June,7,1914 Long Island New York, A family of two brothers and a father were African American, Not much to tell. The father was named Ruben De Pablo. He was a slave not many years ago. His wife died in a fight with the white Americans, the wife was also the mother of the brothers. When he moved to Long Island he found a job in a restaurant, cleaning and dishing. both of the brothers help there father in other to survive. The brother Edwin was timid and always doing what his father tells. Jose in other hand was more brave, he some times disobey his father and had courage almost all the time with the withe Americans.

Not many years ago Jose met a old man that always both food in the restaurant, that man told Jose stories about the civil war. One day the old man went to the restaurant with a box that he gave to Jose, it was a gift that contained a book of the history of the civil war, a pocket watch and a empty journal. The journal was because Jose always told the old man that he will some day will be a writer and will write all the stories of the civil war. That same day wen the old man left the restaurant a gang of bandits killed the old man and stole his money. every thing happen in the eyes of Jose, he knew that if he went to the side of the old man he probably got killed because the police will think that Jose killed the old man.

Moths passed by and there were news that a new war was born, called world war. They said that in every hose a men need to go and fight in the war. Ruben rapidly called the brothers to made some agreements and saying the good byes. Jose told him "Father let me go to the war." the father replied "Ever since that old man told you those stories you have bean obsessed with war, I wont allow that, besides even if you are going it will be Edwin that is the older than you." Edwin then replied "I'll go with Jose is been his dreams." Then Ruben sat down and and got a sad mood wile saying "No,no I could not live with out you boys I promised you're mother to take care of booth of you." Edwin then replied " What will mom told you and us if she was alive right now...?" Edwin,Jose and Ruben said at the same time "Go live you're dreams and don't let any obstacles ruin you're dreams." Then Ruben said "Yes,yes I know, you got me this time, but why you want to leave, Edwin is the one that wants to go not you." Then Edwin replied "My dreams is to always help and follow Jose and I'm not letting Jose go alone to the war." Then in a brief moment of silence Ruben said "OK both of you can go, pack you're things and I believe that black soldiers are now working loading the ships, chow them that we can do it." Jose and Edwin started to pack the tings. When they finished Jose ran to his father and gave him a hug shortly before they left.

Now Edwin has the journal and the pocket watch with a bullet in it. Edwin then said "Brother I will do my best this time, and with you're journal fill it with you're and my stories of the world war, Rest in peace and see you at the other side." Then a French soldier approached Edwin and told him "You have new others from General Ed Williams." The French gave him a letter and left. Edwin opened the letter and smiled.